Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AMMO

Skeleton Reelseat?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I just bought a pair of rods that were origanally built by Causeway B&T on Lami blanks. They have cork handles where you tape the reel on, and the tape just rubs me wrong. I recall having seen a reelseat that weighed almost nothing, and could be wrapped on, since it didn't extend around the blank.

My question is: "Where do I get one"? (or two).

------------------

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").

I think you are looking for a Plate seat. Most Rod Building supply shops sell them, and I'm sure if you ask nicely, some local Rodbuilder may have a spare you could buy.

Fuji makes a nice one now. Its black and had white rubber or plastic inserts under the hoods. The seat has 3 areas for wrapping to the handle. The wrap areas on the ends are bigger and go around the handle further than the old plate seats. Look for that one.

Great! Fuji is a name I trust. WHere do I look??

------------------

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").

I don't know where you would look in the LI area. You could try mail order from Anglers Workshop , Mudhole , etc. Maybe someone from the LI, NY area will respond with a suggestion. no links please.

Fuji makes a nice one now. Its black and had white rubber or plastic inserts under the hoods. The seat has 3 areas for wrapping to the handle. The wrap areas on the ends are bigger and go around the handle further than the old plate seats. Look for that one.

Actually, the one with the white band is the cheapo version(FS7, I think). The better one is the LS7BB, which is also is shorter but accomodates a wider range of reels and is better built.

Causeway was one of the first shops on Long Island to carry them when they first were introduced,I'm sure they still have them now.

516-785-3223.

------------------

CMSTRIPER

Berkeley Striper Club...Seaside Park,NJ

Ed - that is the second thing I saw available here in the states that is not available from Japan. Weird, those seats are not in the Fuji catalouge (niether is the non-slip seats) - I wonder why.

Lets see... I don't remember the model numbers but, the real seat coasters on the top picture are English style from Hatteras Outfitters, the second one down is the standard fuji wrap on plate seat, the third down is a new style Penn adjustable seat that is also used on the new euro penns, and the bottom picture is from the fuji website. It comes in a set of two like the English coasters in the top picture.

I have no direct experience with any of them. I have used the Breakaway coasters and they hold well, although they are not as fancy as the red rubber ones above.

I think coasters are a great way to decide where you want to put the reel seat on your custom rods. You can fish the rod in whatever configuration you like until you find just the right place for the permanent seat. Even 1/2 an inch in either direction can make a big difference.

Allen,

Locally, you can try Pro Fishing on a long shot. Otherwise, Sea Isle or Donnart on the south shore(both in Freeport, I think). Call and ask if the have a Fuji Plate seat.