Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scruffy_fish

How'd you do that?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Build a couple of rods with basic windings, nothing fancy.

I'd like to build a new rod with a single accent thread of a metalic color at the tip of each wrap. How do you guys secure the single wrap so the epoxy dosn't loosen it when I apply the first coat on the wrap?

I don't go crazy with my wraps either but I like to do some shading or use narrow trim bands. Put the color you want at the end of your underwrap. When you do you overwrap, leave 1 single turn of the underwrap showing. Easy.

Thanks, I'm building a fly rod and don't want to use under wraps.

I've seen many single thread wraps mid winding, and can do that, but the end accent is more of a challange. I've used CP but not crazy about the method as I often get white lines between winding even with multipul coats of CP.

Anyone willing to share a technique with a fellow rod builder. HappyWave.gif

Before you start the wrap, tape down a metallic trim band to the blank also tape a pull through loop. Start your overwrap, after a few turns, trim the metallic that'll be hidden under the overwrap AND also bring the tag ends of the pull through loop over the top of wrap you wrapped so far and tape down. Complete your wrap. Now go back to your trim band. Remove tape, Make one revolution of the metallic, feed through the loop and start pulling through. Just as you're about to pull under the wrap, snip metallic close, then pull through...should dissappear under the wrap and you end up with a single thread trim band.

RT has it. You need to plan ahead and have a pull loop under enough thread to hold the trim thread end and also start the trim thread soon enough under the main color thread so it also is tucked under enough.

I see a pretzel knot used for this in the books but I have never been able to make it hold for that single thread band. I do as above.