Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltie

S.O.S. /w Surfcasting Bait Rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Rodbuilders.

I have done some searching in this forum, but I still have a few questions.

I am looking to build (or have one built) a 1 piece surf rod for casting bait with a spinning reel: clam, mackerel heads & chunks, etc. with 3 to 5 oz of lead. Some of the posts suggest that Lami fiberglass blanks are better for bait fishing while carbon fiber (aka graphite) blanks are better for plugging. True or false?

The blank that has caught my eye is: SB 121 3M, which according to a post should be rated at 4 - 8 oz. Would this blank realize my needs? Is there a graphite alternative? I like the sensitivity and lightness of graphite. But, I just broke a 2 piece 11 ft graphite rod rated for 3 - 6 oz while casting only 4.5 oz; I am thus, "cautious of graphite for bait fishing.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies!

- Saltie.

PS

This is the BEST rodbuilders forum I have found online. No B.S.

[ 07-12-2005, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: saltie ]

Try this: Lami Model #GSB1202M Length 10'0" Pieces 1 - Line Weight40 Lure Weight 4-12 Butt (Inch)0.795 Tip11.0 (1/64) Blank Wt8 1/2

I only use graqphite for all my surfcasting -plugging AND chunking! (Lami:GSB 136 2MH 6-16oz and GSB 1382L 1-5oz) icon14.gif

The 121 3M would be perfect for 3-5 oz and bait. It's a slow rod that loads gradually and it would be easier to cast for most people.

Don't believe the 4-12 rating on the graphite GSB 120 1M or 2M. I rate that blank 2-5.

Another vote for the 1213M. I've got them wrapped both conventional and spinning, 4oz and a clam/small chunk is on the money. Great bait stick. Do load very slow and are very different than a graphite stick. They also fight the fish down to the rod butt. Blank should be less than 100 bucks or so.

Jeff

I'm on my second 1213M(they don't like 40 mph wind and screendoors). They are a little heavier than a graphite blank, but, you get the feeling they can do anything. I can throw 1 ounce jigs pretty far with a conventional reel, 4 or 5 way out of sight. biggrin.gif