Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Balancing the tip of a 1509 Heaver

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I know this has been said before, but I can't seem to find the info in a search. How much lead and how do you balance out the butt of the 1509. The tip seems heavy to me and I know it is hurting me. "Just using this rod hurts me" I know John M had some sound advice before.

Thanks,

Pete

Take off the butt cap. stick some big split shot in fiddle around with it til your happy with the amount. Mix up the shot with shoo goo stick it back in, and reattach cap. You can pull it back out this way if you ever need to.

They claim an ounce is just about right .what i did with mine was i put new guides on it .I started out with a 20 and my last 4 guides are 10's single foot . Didnt use under wrapes. I cast from a reel down position, in my opinion it turned it from a telephone pole to a bullwhip i love it now.

Some people say to glue a 6oz trolling sinker in the butt...just hammer it down where it'll slide in the blank, and it balances it out. IMHO all that does is add weight to the rod.

Mine is built at 12'3", 6 guides from a 30(Fuji NSGSiC) to a 16, with a 12 tip(gonna replace it with a 16 ASAP). The fella that built it dosnt build anymore, but he put 3oz in the butts of em for his customers. Now with 3oz in the butt, and a reel in the seat, it balances pretty good.

I dont use it much, just when I gotta throw 10oz+, and bait, or when the offchance comes that I drum fish off a pier. I fish an Abu 7500 or Daiwa 30 sized reel on it, and it throws good....need to practice with it more, so I can properly load it. However when its blowin NE 25+ and you gotta throw 10-12oz plus a bunker or mullet head, thats when the 1509 is at its finest.

Adam

The 1509 is a heaver, and I dont know very many that fish bait with it in there hands. Maybe the guys that stand shoulder to shoulder in the water at the point in NC might. But all in all, I really cant see a reason to add enough weight to balance that rod. Its a heaver and is not meant to be a pleasent rod to handle but a great stick to cast (Not Lob)8-12 with bait with. Just my opinion.

[ 11-07-2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]