Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alby

Best Tape to Use?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al-

What is the best tape to use on the rod to limit the spread of the Flex-Coat from the wraps and (hopefully) get that nice, even 1/8th of an inch e border? I've tried 1/4 inch masking tape, nut it lets the Flex-Coat seep under in places. Scotch tape is a little better, but the increased width makes it more difficult to work with. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

alby

Alby,

I do not use tape to accomplish this. Here is what I do:

After applying the finish to the wraps and flaming out the bubbles with an alcohol lamp, i place the rod on the slow turner.

Take a piece of paper towel moistened with iso alcoholand while the rod is turning gently stretch out the edge of the moistened towel and carefully bring it up to the edge of the wraps.

Keep the paper towel moving to have a clean edge constantly on the blank. Keep the edge square to the edge of the wraps.

Do an initial pass for each wrap then go back for a second pass with a newly moistened towel.

This will give you a clean and perfectly squared off edge.

Al

Hi Al,

Have you tried the little iso alcohol towellettes to do this?

hope things are a little warmer in LI than up here in woosta!!!

BRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Billy

Al,

Are you using iso or denatured alcohol for clean up? I have been using the denatured that I have in my little lamp for clean up. I figured since I had it I used it.

Billy

Hi Al!

I am doing well. We moved into the bigger older house now have to do some "updates." Hopefully when I get some upstairs stuff done I can get my rod bench done this winter. As long as I am not traveling I will see you in CT.

Please email or PM me the info again.

Billy