Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

7' LIGHT action spinning rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm leaning towards making my first custom rod a nice, light action 7' spinner to be used for plugs between 1/4-3/4oz. Primarily used from my kayak for schoolies and cocktail blues in the back bays. Plan on using a Libra 3500 with 20# power pro. I'd prefer Lamiglas (if such a blank exists), though I'd be open to other suggestions.

I'd appreciate any input you guys could give. I've searched the archives here, but the vast majority of posts are dealing with surf rods (go figure wink.gif )!

Thanks!

Lami makes a couple nice glass blanks:

MB841E and MB842F. I heart.gif the 842F Great boat/yak spin rod. Light, durable and even comes in honey!

If you can find this blank in "S" glass even better.

WorceBoy-

I alreadyhave one spinning rod for the heavier stuff (up to 2oz). Unless I am miss reading the Lami catalog, both the rods you suggest are similar to what I have now. Maybe something along the lines of say, a GP844?

Lami makes fantastic rods, and I appreciate Todd's frequent visits here, but there are other nice blanks out there too that shouldn't be overlooked. None of them have the range of actions, tapers, and weights that Lami offers, but in the under 1.5 oz weight there is some stiff competition.

I've been building a lot on Rogue blanks. The prices are great, they are straight almost invariably, and the actions are really unique. For jig fishermen, some of their Spin Jig series are just awesome. I sell a ton of these in the 1/4 - 3/4 oz range- the SJ604 and SJ663 models in particular. Get your hands on one- you will like it.

For a first rod, Forcast.

Check W/ Custom Tackle, they may still have some on close out. i just got 4 blanks from them @ 9 or 10 bucks each. A very nice stick for the $.

Joe,

I fished all last year from kayak and shore for schoolies(biggest 30") and blues(biggest 8#'s) with my Lamiglas GLB 841L and a Okuma Epixor 30 with 20# Fireline.

I love this set-up for the lighter stuff. My favorite is the 841M which is for the heavier lures up to 2oz.

If you do a search on this forum there is info on the guides and spacing.

Good luck with whatever you choose biggrin.gif

Tom

Joe,

I use the MB842F with a real 450SS penn and fish small minnow type baits and unweighted plastics with it no problem. It has a slower action than graphite.

salt is right also. The SW70 series from Rainshadow are nice. I have built SW70L,M, MH in spin and conventional but still go back to that MB842F.

Keep it light with a double foot stripper guide and single foots all the way out.