Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

A place to share Rodbuilding photos

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Matty - Custom Thread Art by Clemens. It helps to be able to look at 2 different wraps and in your head combine them to make something a bit different. It's also nice to be able to ask my girlfriend if these 2 colors match. I did some practice on wooden dowels and that also helped a lot, plus I made a couple of mistakes and learned from them. I am also not afraid to cut something off that I do not like. My first wrap took me 12 hours, and I did it 3 times before I was sort of satisfied. I just cut off another wrap that took me 10 hours.

Billy

Billy...or any of you other talented fellers...if you need a place to put photos with perty thread work and/or step by step stuff...I got lots of room here...and you'll be famous! wink.gif

TimS

This is the recently completed GLB 961MT I built. Tried it out this morning.... First fish taken was a cocktail, but managed to get a few tugs from some Weakfish too. Unfortunately, none of the Weaks were landed.

Although the rod is light and well-balanced, it is lacking in the strength department. The cocktail felt like a 30# Bass!!! Regardless, it'll be fun for early season rats and weakies from the rocks.

A few pictures. Please feel free to critique:

photo12@220443

10.jpg

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

Tom,

Whadyamean too light. That's a perfect stick for taking lunker bass. You need to come out with us. This gal friend of mine, "Hot Lips", has a penchant for taking big bass on light tackle. She can give you lessons.

Al

P.S. let's try to get together next week.

Al!

Thanks for the guidance! I was actually fishing with your pal this morning. She sure wears a thick coat of red lipstick! The Weakfish love her!

Anyway, I'd love to head out with you. I think I jumped the gun with the stick. See, I put two coats on it and it performed well, seems perfectly coated, etc. EXCEPT for the butt wrap. I guess the thread was a bit thicker there, so I'm gonna coat it one more time on the butt section. I cleaned off the butt with denatured alcohol this morning after the "outing" but is there anything else I should clean it with before coating it the third and final time?

Thanks for the guidance on this one. Felt nice pulling together a whole sleu of materials by myself and then getting to it.

*** THE BUTT WRAP IS COMPLETELY COATED, BUT WHERE THE CHEVRONS MEET THERE ARE PIN-SIZED BUMPS. WONDERING WHAT TO DO....

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

[This message has been edited by THEKID (edited 07-19-2001).]

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!

That came out nice, I see you took it out to fish already, huh. Just like a Kid on Christmas!!!

As for the pinholes where the Chevrons meet, wheren't they there the first time you coated the wrap, or just after you fished it and reapplied the epoxy? In either case, I think you need another coat of epoxy (see Al, now I sound like you!!! biggrin.gif ) As for teh bumps at teh tie off area, wait and see if Al suggests sanding it down. I haven't had much luck with sanding down larger bumps and don't want to give you bad advice here.

GREAT JOB once again. I am realy glad to see that the wrap came out as nice as it did.

Billy