Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Rod Workshop Update, January 24th, 2002

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Preparations for the Rod Workshop on Saturday, February 9th are in high gear with just two weeks to go.

There are 24 currently registered and at least 6 more I know that will be coming. It looks like we will have 30-40 attendees, which is a good number for close one-on-one interaction with the instructors.

The workshop will cover all the essential topics to build a true custom rod. In addition, there will be a decorative segment in the program that will cover fancy wraps, handle inlays and working with exotic wood inlays in the reelseat.

All of the instructors will bring a selection of their own custom rods to be used to demonstrate and hopefully get the attendees to ask specific questions.

Finally, there will be a fleamarket with all kinds of rodbuilding goodies: blanks, metallic threads, flocked cork grips, exotic inlayed hosels and other stuff. I have put together a guide prep kit for sale that makes prepararing the guide feet for wrapping a snap.

If anyone is interested in attending please email me at rodprof@bestweb.net and I will send you all the info on the workshop.

Hi Guys,

Registration forms for the workshop are still coming in at a steady pace. I put together a short questionnaire for people to submit. I use this to develop the program and to cover any specifically requested topics. As a result, I am adding another demonstration of installing cork tape and synthetic tape grips to the program.

Given the flurry of questions and requests on the board for various inshore boat rods for tog, fluke and other fish I have added to the goodie list for the flea market several of my own personal favorite blanks from Calstar and others. Two of the Calstar blanks I had a special production run done since they are not standard Calstar blanks.

Calstar GX7 - Ocean fluke blank

Calstar GFX700L and GFX800L - 7 and 8 foot blanks for togging, cod, and chunking and eeling for bass. These are medium action blanks, not the fast action of the regular Calstar models.

Fuji DNY Impact - 6 foot third generation graphite blank for bucktailing up to i ounce. It's a great blank for fluking, weakfish, schoolie bass and dynamite on fall albacore. My best fish on this blank was a 43 lb bass in Montauk using a Calcutta 250 and 10 lb Fireline. Billy can attest to this sweetie.

Al

All I will say is the Impact blank will not be around long after the first 2 people pick them up.

Unloading the Calstars, huh? I'm gonna have to get out there early.

Al - Will there be tables set up to display rods and other cool things like reel seat inserts and thread? Is the Flea Market open to everyone to sell items, or is there a fee we have to pay in order to sell anything?

1 more wrap to go, then a write up and I'm all set.

Hi Billy,

I am not unloading anyrhing. I am just sharing the wealth and making some great blanks available to anyone who might want one.

The flea market is open to all who might have something to sell. There will be plenty of space to display rods as well. Don't go nuts bring display rods though. I will have my display rod rack with me that you can share.

Talk to you later this week.

Al