Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

I know some don't like using CP, but....

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

...I'm hoping to get some feedback on this before I go any further with the rod I'm currently working on.

I'm using white underwraps that have a thin coating of finish and are ready for the guides to be placed. Being that the guide wraps are not going to be placed directly on the balck blank, do I still need CP?

Unless you are using white over white, or NCP (yuck!) thread the colors will darken a bit. The white will keep the color closer to the "on the spool color" and gives it a more jewel like appearance. Silver metallic will even further enhance the jewel look. This is with no CP so the thread is wetted out. No CP will give you a more trouble free wrap IMO since water will not sneak in and turn the CP milky.

cd-

Will the threads becomes transparent as they would if not CP was using and the guide wraps were directly in contact with the blank?

Yes the thread will become semi-transparent, just like when in direct contact with the blank... It's not the object the thread sits on that determines the level of translucency but a light background will make it lighter in appearance.

I happen to prefer the look!

Joe you also got to take into consideration the guide feet will show thru the guide wrap especially against a white background.. Don't know what color or size overwrap you intend to use but some people like the guide feet showing while others find it offensive.

Steve

If you want to retain true colors use CP, but like CD said beware of milky wraps if water gets in. I had that problem with Flexcoat CP, have since switched to Gudebrod 811S and love it, no issues with cloudy wraps anymore.

biggrin.gif

Hey CD, you goin to Sports Cast in Jersey next week, PM me...