Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kmiller

Need help making a decision

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get into the addiction of rod building, and I hit a brick wall. I'm trying to have my 1st rod; being an all around plugging rod, completed in time for the fall run. So far I've been looking at the Lami 1204 and 1322. I plan on throwing let's say bucktails as small as 5/8 oz and up, bombers, needlefish, little neck poppers, pencil poppers, bottle plugs, you name it. Basically a single rod, for now, than can handle any lure I put on it.....is that even possible. Oh yeah, I'm also open to suggestions other than Lami, it might be a better option seeing that it's my first rod. Did I mention I'm about 260 lbs (working on getting it down), and about 6'.

Where do you fish? Do you go often?

For all around , both the rods you mention are nice. Can you handle the extra length? Do you need the extra length for casting distance?

I'd be a little careful about throwing 3 and up on both the 1204 and the 1321. The difference between those two blanks basically comes down to whether you want an 11' or a 10' rod. If you chopped a foot off the butt of a 1321 you'd have a 1204.

If you want a 10' rod, Lami is coming out with a "new" 1204 that is basically an extended 1084 (they're going to re-label the current 1204 as a 1203). There may be a few blanks in the hands of retailers now. This blank is rated the same as the 1084, 1-4 oz and might give you a little more balls at the top end than the current 1204. Altho I still prefer the 1205 as an all-around rod, I could see where it might not be ideal for 5/8 oz bucktails and the like wink.gif

The GSB 120 1L is another option. I'd have more peace of mind casting 3-1/2 or 4 oz lures on that than on my 1204.

So far I've been fishing Breezy Point bay side, but in the fall I'll be fishing Ft. Tilden, Riis, and the likes. In terms of length, it doesn't really matter. As long as it can get the job done, I'll be content with it.

Edit: Hey guys it looks like I may be going this route....GSB 108 1M or XRA1204 for everything up to say the 2 1/2 or 3 oz mark and the GSB 120 1L for everything above 2 1/2 oz. This is where the problem lies, how would I know which rod I should take w/o taking both to the water with me? Confusing stuff.

[ 08-02-2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: kmiller ]

If you're gonna build two I'd go with the 1081L and the 1201M, one picks up where the other leaves off and between em you can throw any plug or bucktail you could get your hands on wink.gif

HI,

I would seriously go with Surfrat here, I believe that he is bang on the money with his advice. I myself was contemplating the 120-1L but in the end the 120-1M is the way I went after taking advice on the forum. The L is a much more flexible rod and is great for Pencil Popping I have found out but for overall usage the M action will be more versatile. It throws 1.25Oz Bucktails and Darters of 3 oz no problems.I know this because I have watched the Sharpies under the light doing this. You can horse fish when necessary with this rod too. Especially important when fishing over rocks.

Job done two rods and you are at it. Worse thing is to be deliberating forever.

One rod will never do what you wanted well too big a weight range. If I could only have the one rod and I was fishing the fall in and around Montauk then my first purchase would be the 120-1M followed by the lighter shorter model. You are going to be well equiped with these two toys.

Regards

Mike OLiver

Hi

Pesonally I don't know exactualy how these

two blanks will perform with Pencil Poppers.

The guys I have seen working these lures really give the rod a darned good shaking back and forth as they crank, to give the popper action. This is much easier to achieve with a lighter actioned blank. I use an 11 foot Zziplex bass which is a bit fast and stiff but it still gets the job done but not as nice.

Your two rods are going to cut most of the mustard for you so don't worry. You really sorted out some superb bits of kit there. Just go fish.

Tight Line

Mike O

The 120 1M does OK, altho it's not THE ideal pencil rod. It still has the parabolic bend that's key to working a PP. Your arms feel it a little, but it does the job.

I've never owned a 108 blank from Lami. For a good all-around 9' rod, you could get the 120 1L blank and cut a foot off the butt.

The Lami 1081M is very different from the xra 1204 (the original one). I don't think you would like its performance on the light stuff. It just doesn't want to load with a bomber.

Steve