Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surf dweller

Acid Wrap?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Ok so what is it?

Why is it better?

What does it have to do with a roberts wrap?

What is an acid rod, is that a blank with this

acid wrap or is is just dipped in battery acid wink.gif

What are the pros and cons.

Yeah I tried the search tool first so please fill me in and I will cwm15.gif

Acid wrap is a spiral wrap... I do believe it is a general term.

The reason it makes sense is it makes a conventional rod stable under load. It's really neat! I was at Billy 40s a while back and he showed me one of his. Under load, the reel popped right up, straight up... No more fighting the weight of the reel wile thumbing the line on the spool!! Also, if you start with the stripper off center from the spine (left side for righties) you only need to push the line accross the spool and it will slide back to the left all by itself. No more dragging the line with your thumb. I'm doing a spiral Lami SSB 136-3m right now. It should be interesting!!

CD

Here's a pic of spiral guides hard at work. Note how the line starts on top and transitions under the rod. This is a buddy reeling in what turned out to be a 40" rockfish (striped bass for you non-Chesapeake freaks).

Only downside is that with a levelwind reel, the line will accumulate a bit on one side of the reel.

455Calvin_fishing_spiral_rod-med.jpg

Hey Billy,How much distance do you put between the reel and the first guide?? I have several rods with the first guide between 15 and 16 inches from the face of the reel and offset in the direction of the spiral and never had a problem with the line winding toward one side of the spool confused.gif

If you offset the first guide about 5 degrees AWAY from the direction your spiral will go, you can get the line to come from blank-center onto the reel- eliminating the piling of line. But this means it takes an extra guide to get the line all the way around to 180 degrees- putting the transition guides in the beginning of the flex point on most short glass blanks. Not a good thing. It also means you can't set the rod flat without having it sit on a guide, which usually isn't a big deal with boat rods but it's something to consider.

Line piling is no big deal as long as you don't overspool with line in the first place. The captain I made these rods for hadn't even noticed it until I pointed it out to him.

It really does help with torque on big lures and big fish. No more death grips with your front hand- you can keep that hand open if you want. Much easier on the forearm.