Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimA

Cork fore grip

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Do many of you use a cork fore grip when using cork tape for the butt grip? Seems like an easier way to install a fore grip, just curious if any of you like the look and if it works.

Thanks

I just did on Erik's Arra. Gotta be more comfortable than grabbing that thin cork tape. I stuck a 9 inch piece of Hypalon on one of my other rods, the few people who saw it liked it a lot. Mainly because I have special Hypalon that isn't mushy, it's almost as firm as EVA, but has a sweet Velvetty feel to it.

It works and looks just fine to use something other than cork tape for the foregrip. It's a good move on thinner blanks and definitely simplifies grip construction. As Billy mentioned firm synthetics are a good choice, and in fact are what I most often use, but the right stuff can be miserably hard to find. The closer to the density of cork, the better. Soft, squishy grips are a surefire recipe for user hand fatigue. Check out the material Daiwa uses on their modestly priced, but excellent Sealine-X rods. That's the the sorta firmness you should be looking for.

You can get some nice preformed cork that will work as faregrips on lighter rods by looking at premade cork handles for fly rods. Some of the flyrod handles are just about perfect for a surf rod foregrip. usually nice quality cork too.

Salt - you like the oddly shaped foregrips too, huh?

You can make Hypalon firmer by selecting a thinner ID, and forcing it to stretch. Then sand it down. What I think happens is instead of teh grip compressing from teh outside when you squeeze it, making it feel mushy, it stays compressed from the inside by it stretching over the blank.

There are also different grades of EVA as was pointed out by Bill K.