Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Reflections from a newbie

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Well I've finished my new rod a few weeks ago, Breakaway 1266 wrapped conventional, and told some of you I would probably post a few observations.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the rod and should get a chance to try it out in a few weeks. The cork tape came out well, as did the finish, and I love the feel and balance. Tending to be a corrective type, here's what I do differently on the next.

I will probably do veryfew rods, take a ton of time to do one and tend to beam over it and show it to a lot of friends. Given all of the time I spend, I will probably go ahead and use SICs next time. They may not be functionally any better, but $50 isn't a big deal given all the time I put in and how few I build. I notice the devil is also in the details. I will do several things a little different where the cork tape joins the butt cap and where it tapers down at the front of the foregrip. I will probably also use 1/8" tape next time, taper it at the front and bring the butt wrap up onto the grip - have to pay attention when I try that. The last thing I notive about building rods is that it really is addictive. I find myself mapping wraps in my head when I need to be concentrating on other things. Finally, building it well doesn't mean you know how to cast it. I am still working on getting the timing down.

Everyone on the board here has been a huge help and encouragement as I've asked a lot of really clueless questions. I'll have more coming in a few months!

PastorMarty, Im glad you like the 1266, IM in the process of building one right now, also conventional. Feels like its going to work out real well this summer. Id like to see pics of yours if you care to post some for us.

PM,

Welcome to the club. Somehow I think I have heard your reflections several times before.

Sorry to say that the addiction only gets worse. After thirty years at this my wife can attest to that.

Al

Re. the butt cap: I used two layers of 1/16" tape. Worked great and gave me a diameter I like. However, given the size of the butt on the blank, 1 the first layer took it over 1 inch and I was using a 25mm (1 inch) ID butt cap. I opted to stop the second layer of tape right above where the butt cap would go and used shrink tubing on at that point on the second layer. The part with only one layer (very end of the butt) I taped with electrical tape earlier and epoxied the butt cap on to finish the grip. I don't like the shrink tube above the butt cap. Next time I will try to have a butt cap big enough just to put it over the cork tape, or I will try to sand the tape a bit so the cap will fit over it if necessary. A third option is to simply not have a grip much over 1 inch so that the butt cap will fit over it. My objection to what I've done is strictly cosmetic, not functional.