Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bunkerhead

aligning the guides on a rod???

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Once you find the spine and set the seat/grips.....then mark the guide placements and do the under wraps..... is there any trick to make sure the guides go on in a straight line?

Ive been putting a reel in the seat and eying it up until it looks good but there has to be a better way.

Any help from the pros appreciatedbiggrin.gif

BH

BH,

Here is how I do it:

Sight down the blank and align the guide with the reelseat like you are currently doing.

Rotate the rod 180 degree and sight down the rod with the guides on the bottom. Align the guides so that the guide rings that are visible are equidistant on both sides of the rod.

Rotate the rod again and resight down the top of the rod. Make any neeeded adjustments.

Now put on your reel and do it again.

When you a rerasonably happy with the result, then glue on and align the tip top.

As a final test run the line through the guides. Attach a corn bead to the line and then take up all the slack so the bead is snug against the tip and the line is taught but not bending the tip of the rod.

Make sure the line is coming off the center of the spool for a conventional reel. The line should then pass from guide to guide right down the center of the ring. You may need to make some final minor adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Al

Bunkerhead I know what you mean, I wrap the guides on first, not crazy tight or you wont be able to "tap" the guides to alignment. Then I sight down like Mr. G says, up against a white wall. That is the problem, I spend about 4-5 boring hours making sure they are straight before finishing.

JC

Another tip that I found works well is to align the guides in the morning when your eyes are well rested and do it outdoors against a blue sky. It really helps.

Al

BH,

I'm an "Old Fart" that sits in front of a computer screen most of the time and then tries to do some wrapping at night when I have the energy. The tip of aligning the guides in the morning against a blue sky came from another "Old fart" and a very good friend.

Al