Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pier_man0909

homemade rod wrapper

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I made mine with a sewing machine motor. I picked up the sewing machine at a garage sale for $7. Not for nuthin' but I've been using it for 6 years now and would only consider replacing it with a Renzetti lathe. I'll try and post some pics this weekend if i get the time.

I also made mine out of an old sewing machine motor, the foot control is perfect for spinning blanks and thread wrapping. I use a Flexcoat 6 rpm motor fro drying the finishes.

This describes my home wrapping set-up. If it seems hard to follow confused.gif , I apologize - its the best I can do.

I use a sewing machine motor for wrapping thread and an electric BBQ spit motor for drying and applying flex-coat. I built a couple of upright supporting V blocks to hold the rod as it turns (line the V cut-outs with felt) and a support for each motor that places the motor shaft at the same height as the point of the V block cut-outs.

Attaching blank to motor - You'll need to get a coupler to fit over the shaft of each of the motors. The shafts are going to be about 1/4" in diameter. Insert the motor shaft about an inch into the coupler and tighten it down with a set-screw. Put 1/4" X 2" bolts secured with washers and a nut through the end of thick butt caps of varying diameters. Place the butt of the blank into the best fitting butt cap. Put the protruding bolt end into the other end of the coupler attached to the motor. Tighten it in with a set screw. Plug in the motor and you're ready to go.

It takes a little practice to get your hand and thread wrapping coordinated with the speed of the sewing machine motor that you control by your foot on a floor pedal.

The set-up may be crude but it works fine and I have turned out many rods over the years.

Good luck.

i've had a sewing machine motor and foot pedal for about two years now, and i've never taken them out of the box. one day i'll get a dedicated rod building / fly tying area, and at that point i'll make use of the motor.

for drying though, i did get a couple of cheap 8 rpm motors from an electrical components website. the shaft on the first one that i used actually broke this past winter, so i have to replace that motor. i used a bolt with an allen head to connect to the square shaft, and mounted this into a pvc pipe cap for turning the rod. three other bolts were then put into the sides of the cap to hold the rod. i also placed a drop of rubber body (just like the plasti-dip stuff for tools) to keep the metal of the bolt off of the blank. it's a very cheap and easy way to dry rods.