Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Justification for purchase....

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've been looking at either getting an alcohol lamp or a heat gun, as I am planning on usng shrink tubing on my rods at the junction of the cork tape foregrip and rod blank. Here's my newbie question for those that use/own a heat gun--> Do you find yourself using it for other purposes (either around the house or for other jobs)?

You can pay from $20 up to over $150 for a heatgun. wink.gif Go to a local True Value HDWR store and buy one of the $20 Wagner ones (two temp settings).

On the more $ models, you can run it without the heating element to cool it down before you shut it off (you get more life out of the heating element if you cool it down rather than just shutting it off). You can replace almost all the parts on the $$ ones. On a cheapie if it dies, you toss it away and buy a new one. tongue.gif

I use my heatgun for working with plastics (kydex, lexan ..), thawing pipes if need be, scraping old glazing & paint and etc.

I use an alcohol lamp as well for getting the bubbles out of my rod finish and attaching arrow points or tip guides with hot melt. Not enough heat to do shrink wrap effectively IMHO.

joeB;; i use a embossing heat tool from a craftstore./a.c.more or michaels.

temperature 650% deg.

360 watts

amps 3

i use it on shrink tubing on rod's

and taking off epoxy finish.

iuse a double face tape from a golf store under the cork tape.

the Embossing Heat Tool a great tool!!!

eddie

If you are using regular heat shrink (like the stuff from Radio Shack) a blow drier will definitely shrink it up as will a match or a lighter. If you use a heat gun or an alcohol burner, be sure to keep the blank rotating and on the heat for the shortest possible time. Too much heat will destroy the blank.

CD

Propane torch is what I use. other uses? 1) getting bubbles out of epoxy after application, 2) melting the plastic stuff on the wire leaders for bluefish, 3) and I used this one Monday morning, melting the ice off your shoe laces after standing in the water for 3 hours...

BC