Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KenM

Tri-State Rod Building Classes

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hope this is OK to post.

TriState Rod Building club is running their annual rod building class which take place on three consecutive Saturdays beginning Jan 24th,2004. Classes start at 8:30 am and end around 4PM. We assign a club member to every student to speed along the learning process. The "buddy" attends class with student on all three days. Cost for the three day class is 50$ which covers our cost of running the classes. Classes are held at the Paoli VFW located in Malvern Pa.At the end of the classes you will have a finished custom fishing rod. Open to all. If interested please call Clay Johnson at 610-647-2516 or email at hclayjohn@aol.com

KenM

Ken - thank you for posting this. $50 fee is practically free for a 3-day class. This is a great way for someone thinking about building rods, or who has built a few and is looking to fine tune and learn from real Pro's.

I hope this stas up here and a few take advantage, as it is a great opportunity for those looking to get into this craft.

Ken thanks for posting the invitation I wanted to do the same thing today. These are super super classes and I hope some folks inquire. There is a wealth of information at the Tri State Club, some of the top builders in the country can be found at the meetings and classes. You can learn more in 3 weeks at he classes than you could on your own in a year. If you are an adavnced rod builder you can also join the club. We meet about 6 times a year and its a great way to try different rods and meet new friends. Ken thanks for asking me to join the club!!

Bruce Fisher

This sounds great, just what I need to get started. I've toyed with the idea of building my own and this sounds like just the help I need.

What equiptment would be needed other than blank guides thread etc.

A set of wooden V blocks are included with the class fee and with these you can successfully wrap a rod using books to apply thread tension.There is also a thread tension device that the club offers at a small cost ($20 I think)which most students prefer to use and many long time members continue to wrap with.

Some form of rotating device is also recomended for the finishing although you could sit and turn the rod by hand for a few hours.Several low cost options are available such as a barbecue rotisserie motors and small gearmotors .

There are also some small items such as masking tape,brushes ,ect. that you will need also.

I should point out that the club doesn't really make a profit on the classes and the members volunteer their time in an effort to promote rodbuilding and hopefully add a few new members to the club so that we can continue to promote rodbuilding.

The class size is limited to 10 students so if your interested I wouldn't wait to contact Clay.

KenM

The tri State Club is a great bunch of guys that I have know for many years. It is a great opportunity to get some hands on rod building knowledge. Anyone in the greater Philly or southern NJ area with a serious interest in rod building should try to take the opportunity to attend.

Looks like the class is full up for this year but if you want to get in line for next year or just want to join a great club give Clay a call or send him an e-mail and he'll fill you in.

Tri-State Rodbuilders meet at 8pm on the third Thursday of every month except the months of July,August and December at the Paoli VFW.

Al and Billy,Thanks for the help and I hope to see you both at the Rodcrafters National.Looking forward to a buttwrapping presentation from Billy.

KenM

Ken - you signed me up for a butt wrap Demo? Ok, you're gonna be my assistant - lol. I hate speaking in public.

I wish there was a club that met once a month in the NY area. I have a small group of guys who fill up my basement hopefully meetin ga couple times this Winter, but it would be nice to have something organized and most importantly FREE.

Billy,

I didn't sign you up but I'm hoping Al or Dick did.

I'll mention it to Dick when I see him in a few weeks.

Tri-State has a small yearly dues fee of $20 or $15 if your an old geezer which goes to pay for our annual banquet in March and our picnic in June.We also build two raffle rods a year one of which goes to the VFW and the other goes to the Banquet/Picnic fund.

Too bad you don't live closer we could use your knowledge in the club.

KenM