Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malabaricus

wrapping thread

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I´m building my rod and I´ve found a problem with the thread: when wrapping the spinning guides with the thread and painting them with epoxi, some fluffs appear; so it´s necessary to give a second paint to get a proper coating and avoid fluffing. I´m using nylon threads GUDEBROD SERIE 1870 SIZE A and I´m not adding the NPC (I understand it´s unnecessary). Could you tell me what I´m doing wrong?

The thread itself shouldn't be "fluffing," unless you've really torn it up when packing, something I used to do a lot when I used the sharp end of my scissors instead of a burnishing tool. If its the ends where you've cut it that are sticking through the coating, you need to work the thread over the ends when you burnish/pack the wraps. Sometimes even if you're really careful, little threads will still poke through the finish - sux - but a small razor blade and another coat fixes them just fine.

Sounds like you have a bad spool, or there is a burr somewhere in your tension system.

You can singe the thread with an alcohol lamp and melt back most all of the frizzies.

You will find a quick pass over the heat is all that is needed. You might melt a wrap or two off figuring out the speed and distance to use, but after that you should be all set!

What is your thread tension set up? Could it be causing the fuzz? It's easier to stop the problem than it is to fix, so check over all the tools that come in contact with the thread,and make sure there are no rough edges on ANYTHING that touches the thread. Also check your burnishing tool for an edge. Most rough spots can be filed down with a polishing wheel and some jewlers rouge.