Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fabe76

Rainshadow 1087

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

This one is for all of you much respected surf stick builders.I'm looking to add a back up rod to go with my much loved Arra 1083.By all the posts raving about the Batson and the low cost of the blank.I'm strongly cosidering the Rainshadow 1087.My question is how will this rod perform as opposed to the Arra the length and specs are similar.Is this blank all graphite? is it as light as the Arra?I hope its not as stiff as some of the St.Croix's.I like to throw pencils is this blank suitable thanks for the imput

From everything I've been told, the Rainshadow 1087 is a near-twin of my older Sabre 1087. It is a nice, medium-fast taper rod that takes a parabolic bend under a load. It's not as light as an Arra 1083. It is somewhat heavier in the tip (takes a size 7 as opposed to a 6 on the XRA). Little different bend, but handles a bit more weight without worry. The Arra probably does better with stuff in the 1/2 oz to 1 oz range.

I'd say with pencils, it'll do OK with ones in the 1 to 1-1/2 oz range. With 2 oz it might get a bit "droopy" on you.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 03-01-2003).]

Fabe,

I just finished wrapping a 1087 as a spinner. I have a Tica Libra 4000 on it with braid. I haven't fished it yet but it looks like it's going to be a tremendous rod. smile.gif

Mike W.

I highly recommened it. Oz can back me up on the weight thing. I believe it is VERY comparable in weight to the XRA 1083. I also think that it is perfect for small pencils and bombers. it is composite.

BC

Don't let "composite" make you think heavy. Unless you were told, you wouldn't know it wasn't 100% graphite. It should, however, be a bit more durable.

Ditch is right on in his assessment, as usual.

ditch the 1083 is a great ron for 3/4 lead and 1 oz lead.

I do the sluggo GS rubber thing.

I was tossing a baglys lure I think 1/2 oz its a 3" lure with a 1087 in conv and a 6500 mag in scortonscwm24.gif not that it went far.

I think the rod is better for spinning.

I wrapped one and a 1088 I wanna test out next to some ahem other rodsicon15.gif

But they seem Nice to me.

Thanks for all the replys actually I think it being a composite is a good thing I like the feel of a glass rod just don't like the weight.I have a couple of St.croix's that are light as a feather but they are way too stiff for my style of pluggin I think I just found my new rod !!