Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Building a 9 ft 10 weight g-loomis fly blank

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I got a 10 wt g-loomis rod that I need to build.

Ihave the butt section taken care of, I just need advice on guides. I dont care about weight, I want ultimate casting guides.. what do you guys recommend??? Im not a big fan of the snake style guides, If I have to use them, I will, but Id like to stay away..

Im assuming, size A thread is amust and thin coats of epoxy with no under wraps are in order..

thanks in advance..

BC

The general feeling now seems to be to use double foot SiC guides for the strippers and single foot Sic for the rest. From what I've seen , fewer people use snake guides now. Rule of thumb is one guide per foot of total rod length and maybe one or two more , seldom less.

I think underwraps should be used. Obviously nothing thicker tha A thread and even thinner if you can find some.

The placement of the stripper is very critical and can really only be done right by marking the spot with the guy who will be using it holding the blank. It should be right where his hand falls for stripping line when he's holding the blank just ahead of the reel seat as he would when casting.

The latest trick these days is to add a second stipper guide 100 mm (about 4 inches) ahead of the main stripper. This is also a double foot SiC guide. It doesn't replace another guide further out , its simply added right there 4 inches up from the stripper. Suppose to really help casting.

I have to thank Cam Clarke and Hugh Miller for sharing the information above as they were very helpful to me at the rod building conference in CT last January where I concentrated most of my learning efforts on fly rods.

Salt,

thanks for the heads up. any recommendations on Guide size? Ive heard people say go as big as 30 as the first guide. then all the way down to 6. I like the single foot idea. Im no expert fly guy, but it seems there would be a tremendous amount of line slap ging thru those snake guides, I would think that hurts my casting distance.

thanks again..

BC

I guess I'd go with a 16 stripper and a 12 tamer then work it down to 8 or 7's , probably 8's. If it was for something really heavy duty I might go to a 20 stripper but I doubt it.

Check out the new REC single foot wire guides. I recently built an 8 weight using them. Much better casting than snakes. Priced right. I even gave the first stripper and next 2 guides a slight offset. Don't know if it helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

bc,

you gotta stop asking your surf fishing pals how to build a fly rod wink.gif a 30 stripper? Line on a fly rod is fed by your hand, doesn't come off a spool in any way. You need to change your way of thinkin in building a fly rod. I would recomend you not go below an 8 if you ever intend to throw shooting heads(which you should wink.gif ). I've gone with the single foot ceramics with titanium frames, but probably spent more than I needed to.

Saltheart gave you the rest of the basics. I would go without underwraps.

I built a 9 fooot 9 wt. last winter. I put the snake guides on it. I'm not a huge fly fisher, so I can't tell the difference.

I like the idea of using sic---the sic is so slick.

The only thing I really have to offer is on underwraps. I know there is one company sorry I"m not sure if it is G Loomis or not that will only warranty their rods if they are wrapped with underwraps. Give em' a call and see if that is true.

good luck,

stroth

10 weight? 20 stripper 16 tamer 12, 10 and 8 on out.

As for underwraps? Definitely on the double foot guides and on all strippers even if single foot. Skip the underwraps on the singlefoot as it really makes no difference on safteey of the blank and does add weight (albeit very little) and therefore compromises performance slightly. I'm in love with the Ti framed gold cermets or Sic from Fuji. None better if you want the ultimate and dont mind the extra $$.

However, you're already spending $$ on a Loomis so if you go with cheap guides I'll have to make you eat a Cubano sandwich with a helping of my hot sauce biggrin.gif

CD

Underwraps are for sissies tongue.gif Learn to prep ya feet right and forget about underwraps.

I've heard the warranty stuff, but never confirmed it. But I have about 6 factory Loomis GLX fly rods and not one underwrap eek.gif

Oz,

My feet are prepped allright and I'm gonna kick you ... biggrin.gif

Oops, okay I'm kidding.

I prep my feet very well! They lie flat on the blank, are tapered neatly from just after the frame to a sharp edge and then finished with a hard arkansas stone until nice and smooth. Wont cut paper once I'm done. I prefer the look of underwrapped guides and feel it adds a bit of cushion where it's most needed. Besides, no underwraps on the double foot guides=too lazy! tongue.gif

Seriously though... To each his own!

P.S. can we try out the rod when it's finished?

CD

CD,

To each his own is right. That's why I build my own. wink.gif I build for max efficiency. Why use a Ti frame ad the underwrap it. tongue.gif

And if your gonna kick me, you better kick hard the first time smile.gif

Oz,

Really no underwraps?

I only underwrap the stripper and the doublefooted guides after it. I know it add some weight but I use a very thin coat of finish on the underwraps to keep things light and un-lumpy looking. I have seen commercial fly rods with enough finish on the wraps to varnish several rods.

I do love those Ti guides... Makes a 10wt feel like an 8 or 9!

Also, no corrosion smile.gif

What's your favorite blank to wrap on?

p.s. I only kick hard enough to joke around... I'd never kick ya hard unless you drank all my Guiness tongue.gif

CD