Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

custom thread art Book???

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Da Wife is looking for a cheap gift to get me for my b-day and I mentioned that I wouldnt mind a book on thread Art.

I think Clemens makes one, not sure about others. Ive basically taught myself how to build rods (with input from people on the board and others, etc). but I want to learn how to do more "custom" wraps.

what book out there is easy to learn from and also does a good job as far as material???

BC

bc,

getting into rod wrapping and i have purchased about 4 books thus far. the clemens' books are good (i have advanced rod building and thread art). another good book, probably the easiest to understand and a good quick read, is kirkman's rod building guide. i have another that was a waste of money, so i won't mention it. amazon.com (used) is how i bought most of them and they are starting to carry rod building supplies. goning to do my first rod real soon. enjoy the bag.........

kip

Kip,

thanks... I need to qualify, I only want how to do custom thread art. Im set on how to build, just want ideas for patterns, etc... I only do a basic chevron, etc..

Thanks,

BC

BC - you "want to do thread Art". So you are prepared to sit there and spend 4-8 hours wrapping threads up and down a rod blank?

Custom Rod Thread Art is the best book, this is all I used to teach myself how to do the wraps I do. IT is very, very confusing at first, but you HAVE to read the first bunch of chapters a few times, practice a couple of wraps, read it again - for it to make sense. And then it still mat not make sense.

Flex Coat makes a $5 handbook thingy, which doesn't really explain anything, and I do not think it will be of much use. CRTA imo is the way to go. WHen you get it, if you have any questions, make sure to ask them. Either here, or shoot me direct e-mails, and I'll help you out.

billy,

tx.. Ive been building for a while and doing some side jobs for extra cash. as of now, on one is interested in anything that would be considered "thread art" on a butt wrap. TO be honest I would send them to some one like Mark Flynn for that as I wouldnt be able to compete. Most guys I build for are looking for top end rods with "no frills" butt wraps. something neat and clean and well made. not artsy... BUT.. .I would like to learn how to do something more than the beginner chevrons I am doing now..I dont think I could sit for that period of time doing someone elses work, wouldnt be worth it for me. for me, Id like to educate myself and get theories for whatmakes things look they way they look. you know more technical stuff.. shading, etc...

Ill get the book and check it out in my down time over the winter.

anyone else have input???

thanks,

BC

BC - shading is probably the easiest yet best looking "technique" you can put in one of your wraps. I have bee leaning towards shading almost every wrap in some way shape or form, and I think every rod I build from now on will have shades in it.

Just so you know, most guys do not do anything more than diamonds or chevrons, so that is one reason why there are so few responses to these types of "artsy" questions. There is not a lot written on this topic either, so you have not much of a choice but the CRTA book and asking questions here.

Shoot me an e-mail: vivonab@colsonservics.com, I'll send you a beginner's butt wrapping document, that someone sent to me from Australia, which may be of some use to you.

Hi BC,

To help you shortcut the learning process, there are some fundemental points you should know which I would be happy to show you over the winter. In addition, I would encourage you to attend the National Rodcrafters Seminar in Allentown, PA next March. There you will see custom thread work that will blow you away. The info you will also pick up will overflow your brain.

I have seen the quality of Billy 40's work evolve vertically over the last four years. His threadwork is truly incredible. Once you get a firm grasp of the basics you will easily move on from there.

Al G.

Ok,

so do I want "THE NEW ADVANCED CUSTOM ROD BUILDING" by DAle Clemens or do I want "CUSTOM THREAD ART"???

Will the NEw advanced custom rod building book give me thread art as well??? or should I just get the Custom Thread aRt book??

who has both and can say which one is better.

BC

Stritcly for Thread Work, get Custom Thread Art. ACRB has an intro to Thread Art, but most of that is re-covered in CTA. THe first 5 or 6 chapters must be read and understood in order to do any of the more intricate wraps.

BC - any questions, feel free to e-mail me and I'll walk you through.

Bassdon2.jpg

Fasteddie - zooooom!!! Thanks.

I got Black, Grey, White and Tan fheets of foam. I then got a Jpg of a Bass from another site. I cut all teh pieces out, like a jigsaw puzzle, then glued them back. That Bass took me about 5-7 hours to complete.

I just completed a Blackfish which took me 2 days and about 16 hours on and off, which to me looks really freaking sweet. Hope to have teh pics posted everywhere tonight. I like bragging - lol.

Fasteddie - zooooom!!! Thanks.

I got Black, Grey, White and Tan fheets of foam. I then got a Jpg of a Bass from another site. I cut all teh pieces out, like a jigsaw puzzle, then glued them back. That Bass took me about 5-7 hours to complete.

That is some fine work, you should show it off because that is craftmanship at its finest.

Now maybe we can work a deal I'll get rid of your mice and you build me a rod wink.gif