Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
laxcoach

building cape fear fly rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I want to build a blue water fly rod on a Cape Fear blank. I have a few questions.

1) Can I ream the cork handle and foregrip with my standard round reamers or do I need to find hexagonal reamers?

2) I normally use struble U-7 real seats for heavy rods, do I need to use a special reel seat that is hexagonal in shape? If so, where can I get such a reel seat?

3) All of the fighting butts I have put on fly rods I've built inserted into the blank. I assume I will need to use one that has a hexagonal shaft. Where can I get one?

4) Do I need to use a hexagonal tip top?

I appreciate any help this board can lend.

Best,

Morgan

Morgan,

You don't need to hex anything.

The seat is fine as is the round reamer for the cork and top.

I would however suggest you us ethe blank for the fighting butt. What I do with those is to mount the fore grip where it needs to be to leave a space behind the reelseat the desired length of the fighting butt. I then glue up the seat (bushings of drywall mesh center the seat) and one ring of cork behind the seat. The rod is then wrapped, finished and now I finish off the fighting butt. Glue on the rest of the cork rings, inlay a rubber cap or cork plug and finish on a lathe. If you are doing the one piece blank, you'll need an expansion chuck to insert into the rear of the blank. After you turn the fighting butt, you can glue up the inlay and finish by hand. That will be a sweet fishslayer!! icon14.gif

I've built all 3 of their fly rods. They are phenomenal pieces of equipemnt.

i don't believe you will find that reel seat fits, except for perhaps the 14 weight. I used the AFTCO ARS-1 in all black for all 3 of the sticks. Fantastic piece of equipment, priced a lot better than your general fly rod reel seats. Probaly less than 1/2 the cost.

As previously mentioned, just ream them out to appropriate size round. they will fit fine. I used short pieces of hypalon for the fighting grip and it worked fantastic.

The tips are almost totally round, so not a problem.

For the fighting butt, I just slid the seat up a little bit and attached one of Perfection's swivel gimbals, pricey, but worth it. A slight bit of sanding and it slides perfectly over the ARS-1 seat.

If you need, I can email pics.

chris

I am having a 14wt Cape Fear built and decided on a Perfection Swivel gimbal butt and a REC Spey seat. Very, Very nice setup. Pricey, but I will not give that another thought once it is done.

I am also going to have a long (14"-16") grip instead of two separate grips.

Mike

Mike,

The swivel gimball allows the reel to swing and therefore negates the pro's of having the gimbal. You are now fighting the roll of the reel as well as the fish.

Your choice, but I don't use swivel gimbals!

Nice rod though, have a great time with it! icon14.gif

But the swivel gimbal also keeps the line coming off the rod in a straight line, not torquing the rod at an extreme angle if the beast move moves suddenly far left or right.

Or have the best of both worlds, I made a set of 3 interchangeable gimbals. swivel, regular Aftco gimbal and supersized cork butt. They can work on any 3 of my Cape Fear rods.

chris