Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snagit

Old Rods

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Are older Rods worth repairing?I have a old 10ft Zebco Ocean Side Silver Series(Its over 16yrs old).Very good casting rod.No other Fishing rod i have can cast as far.The last time i used it was Sept,2000.The problem i had with it was when i used any thing Top water the line whould hit the pole just below the bottom eye.You can see the rub marks the line has left over the years.I need to know.

Thanks

IMO, sure - why not? As long as the glass looks, feels and loads well, and the reel seat is functional, it's a candidate for fixup. Pull off all the old guides, check the bend under load to see where the new guides should be located and re-guide as you see fit. I've done this to at least a dozen rods over the years. No reason to cast off what's basically a good fishing tool.

BTW, if you have never wrapped on a new guide, it's almost easier than casting with a spinning reel. You don't need any special tools - just the new guides, wrapping thread, and some finish to cover, seal and protect the wraps (I usually use a thinned-out slow cure epoxy). Have at it!

i found in my garage an old round bamboo conventional rod 10' wrapped w/ leather where cork tape would be, no seat, one stripper guide left and a tip, weirdest guides i've ever seen and a tip as thick as my thumb. any idea how old this rod might be?

I have in great shape 9' and 11' Garcia 2 piece surf rods. I was thinking on using them for bait rods. I think the ferrules are plastic coated metal or solid plastic for a bit more flex. Nice looking rods though. They were my father's.

The bamboo rods -they have weird guides(double sided) because if bamboo bends one way too much, it will stay that way, therefore there are guides put on the reverse side to straighten it out again. As far as age, I'm not sure. If I had to guess I'd say 80yrs.