Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

A couple of things AL

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

1. Really enjoyed your article in Rodcrafters;well written,concise,entirely professional.Am glad you chose that subject because while not"in the business" I do quite a bit of building and am always having to explain the very thing you so clearly covered.That Rodcrafters will stay close to hand at all times from now on.Thanks!!!!

2.Using a blank of say 9ft rated for 1/2-21/4 oz and 20lb line,spinning reel properly filled with 30lb PP,and built by you how far would you expect to cast a 1oz Bomber in a no wind condition?I ask this question on fishing boards and get such a range of answers that I don't know if they're pullin my chain or if they're just lousy judges of distance.Therefore I thought I'd ask "DA MAN".

3.To the gentleman inquiring about the cracking around the guide feet:all that's been said + if you're using any kind of heat source to remove bubbles don't use so much heat. I do all of the things that've been mentioned but the 3 I think are most important are wait 24hrs between coats,low or no heat, and put the rod up for AT LEAST 10 days after the final coat of finish. It's a rare thing for me to have any cracking.Good luck. Neil

Hi Neil,

Glad you enjoyed the article. It was part of a presentation I did at the last New England seminar I hosted and we had alot of boat fishermen attending.

I have casted bombers from time to time primarily from a boat. A typical cast with an 8-foot conventional rod might be 65-75 yards, probably less since we drift down into the fish.

Bombers are not the most aerodynamic of lures. Using a 9-foot spinning rod and Power Pro my guess would be maybe consistently reaching 75-85 yards in ideal conditions and that maybe pushing it.