Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bait O' Eggs

Decorative rod painting

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I have read the lure building forum on this site for a while now and have become fascinated with painting plugs. I have made quite a few tuna plugs and have some pretty good paint jobs on them, though nothing I would post as their are some real artist on this forum. I decided to try and paint a rod with a scale pattern. I put a copper pearl undercoat on the rainshadow olive green blank, and a pearl purple scale pattern over the copper color. I used createx paints, and then finished over the paint with flex coat high build (pattern is about 6 inches long). Rod was tied in dark green thread with gold trim.

My question is will this paint want to flake off the rod in time? I cleaned the rod well before painting, but did not scuff up the blank prior to painting. I would guess the paint would adhere to a matte finish blank better than the gloss finish. I have fished it 3 evenings in a row and so far, no problems. I would like to sell some rods with a painted pattern like below, but want to make sure it will hold up before I sell one that comes back in a couple months looking like an old used plug that has caught lots of fish with big teeth. wink.gif

So will the paint last?

075413162.jpg

If you put a coat or two of finish over it it'll prolly last forever.

On the other hand, IMHO, the reason a custom butt wrap can be impressive as well as handsome is that it is built one thread at a time.

The idea of a painted "butt wrap" just leaves me cold.

Your mileage may vary,

gad