Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

8 wgt fly blank?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Can you recommend a decent 9' 8 wgt blank that I will use for a backup saltwater, heavy freshwater rod? Not looking to spend a real lot on the blank as it will be a backup. Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Fly blanks are a very personal thing from angler to angler. There are blanks with extra fast, fast and medium fast actions. The choice is dependent on your casting ability and the conditions you will be fishing under.

Al

Mike,

I agree with Al that test casting and feeling the action of a fly blank before purchasing is the best way to go. However, if you're really looking to build an inexpensive but very high quality back-up rod, check out the "discount store" at danderods.com. I've had great luck buying their Loomis oem blanks. The blanks are first quality although they don't carry the Loomis warranty. If you call them, ask for Vern the owner. He's a really nice guy and, apparently, a very good friend of Gary Loomis. I'm sure he could help you find a blank with the right action to fit your needs. D&E is one of the 5 blank distributors that will be selling Loomis blanks to rod builders. Bottom line is that you can get a great blank made by Loomis from D&E for under $80.