Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedneckfromRI

Underwrap or Not??

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

This is my first go at building a surf stick and from the start I had planned on using an underwrap but after alot of research I am kind of undecided now?

The blank is an XRA1205 and its being built conventional. Probably gonna be throwing heavier jigs in the 4 and 5 oz range.

Might get used to occassionally throw some bait and weight?

What do ya think?

Bud,

My preference is always to underwrap. i do it for several reasons: to protect the blank, to add a more secure base for the guide to sit on and for artistic reasons since it adds a contrasting color.

One of the steps to enhance the looks and performance of the completed rod is to taper grind and polish the guide feet. I am absolutely a fanatic about this step. However, if the guidefeet are not buffed perfectly smooth you can end up with a burr on the underside of the foot. If there is no underwrap, This burr can in time gradually dig into the wall of the blank through constant flexing and eventually

result in the blank failing.

Al

Bud,

Do it if it makes you feel better, but I think the risk of no underwrap is so small, I stopped doing it. I have asked dozens of guys if they have ever seen a rod fail due to no underwrap and only one guy said yes, twice. If this wasn't his site, and he wasn't a straight shooter, I'd say he was full of crap. The rods that failed were factory rods, and the culprit was undoubtedly poor guide foot preperation. If you prep your feet right, there's no need. And that opinion is shared by some of the best rod builders in the business.

Custome builders use them for more thread colors and insurance, not necessity. If you were a custom builder, like Al G., you want to eliminate any potential problems. You also have to please a customer that will expect underwraps on a custom.

In my eyes, it's extra weight, and time, nothing else. Learn to prep your feet and loose the underwraps.

If this wasn't his site, and he wasn't a straight shooter, I'd say he was full of crap.

HappyWave.gif Scary what a very sharp guide foot edge with a slight angle will do to a high performance casting rod without underwrapsicon25.gif Yes, it was the guide foot in both cases. Yes, they were factory rods. And yes, underwraps would have prevented the damagesmile.gif

Another reason I like to do underwraps is because I can't stand to hear that metal on blank sound yah get without them! icon25.gif Makes me worry about the possible damage being done to the blank with each cast or each fish. For the time it takes to do underwraps, they'll be on every rod I make. And for the "weight" factor, that might be an issue with 5ft fly weight trout toys, but not so much on a 9ft-11ft surf stick where one guide will weigh as much as the underwraps for the whole sticksmile.gif

It's personal preferrence, but I'd use the underwraps. Especially if you are new to the wrapping thing - it's insurancesmile.gif And it looks nicesmile.gif And sometimes it just feel good to ignore what Oznavad sayswink.gif

TimS

underwrap ? metal on graphite on numerous points under the load of a fish time after time after time..I feel better with the buffer being a very light wrap in between the two materials...on a heavy glass blank maybe but whats the point..

Thanks everyone for your opinions and setting the facts straight!!

The UNDERWRAPS are done and the guides are prepped!! Next step is the tedious job of putting the band on that will be below the guide ring. Being a novice I am sure I will cuss at it a few times before I get the hang of it!! Having Harv tutoring me is a big help!! Even though he is a ball buster!

Oh by the way Harv! I tried to purchase that new Blow up doll but they told me you bought the last dozen that were left in the US!! I cant see spending the extra $$ for the overseas model!!

okay, so let's expand the topic a bit ... i read somewhere that underwraps slow the action of a rod. that is, a rod without underwraps will be faster than an otherwise identical one without them. is this true, and if so, to what extent? i haven't had the opportunity to do a side-by-side test.

If you like the way a blank feels off the shelf,its going to change once you start adding weight to it. Weight = guides,number of guides,wraps, type of wraps,finish. If your really concerned with weight,you could go titanium frames.One titanium sic guide by fuji sz 25 is $32.00...sz 20 $20.00..ouch !! You could go less guides and save weight then the blank doesn't load as well. I think there are trade offs.. How much does the weight of a sz A thread underwrap add versus the potection of the blank...I say do what you can afford..$100.00 for a blank might be nothing to some people..

As Tagger said "There are tradeoffs."

It is true that a blank's performance is affected by adding wraps, guides and finish. However, the degree of effect is greatly increased in lighter blanks. That is why it is one of the reasons selecting the proper guide size and style is so important. Also, that is one of the advantages of using single foot guides.

For most saltwater applications an underwrap will not greatly effect the blank's casting performance. However, excessively long wraps, be they under or overwraps, will slow a blank down.