2 questions??

Rate this topic

Rowdy

#1 i have wrapped a few rods in the past conventional and spinning and now i picked up 2 rod kits from the somerset fly fishing show one 9' 5 wt 4 piece and one 9' 8 wt 3 piece and was wondering how to properly spine a multiple piece rod ...

#2 i am useing size a thread and dont want to add any bulk is metalic thread good for a one coat or should it only be used as an overwrap...

Thanks in advance Rory.

Rowdy,

Spining multi piece rods can be done easily. However, the butt section can sometimes be difficult. It is more important to spine the tipward sections and then align them.

To spine each section you need to be very careful to not apply too much pressure or you will break the section.

Place the section on a smooth, flat surface. Lift the tip up at about 30 degrees leaving the butt on the flat surface. Supporting the tip with the palm of one hand, apply gentle downward pressure on the middle of the section. The blank section will rotate and come to rest. The spine will be on the outside curve of the section, or facing the flat surface. Mark the spine using masking tape and a pen.

The female ferrule of each section is then wrapped. Assemble the blank and line up the spines on each section. Using an india ink pen or other indelible pen, place a dot on each section of the ferrule, both male and female, right on the spine. These will be your alignment dots when assembling the completed rod.

You can use size A metallic thread for your overwraps. I would recommend you use the Gudebrod HT Metallic thread. Do not wrap with too much tension and remember to taper and polish the guide feet well.