Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phish

XRA1204 Advice

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm building a XRA1204 plug rod for a spinning reel(probably Sustain 5000). I'm looking for advice on reel seat position, guide selection and placement. My initial thought was a reel seat about 22" from the butt and a large gathering guide around 30"-36" from the face of the reel. I'm thinking about five guides and a SIC tip. I know I have to fine tune the final guide placement with a field test, I'm looking for the general rule for initial placement to get me close when I start. Also any advice on wrap color schemes with the Arra brown colored blank would also be appreciated.

Mine has the seat center 22" from the butt and I'm 6'2". First guide is a 50, about 36" from the reel. I believe it goes 50, 40, 30, 25, 20, 16 and a 16tip.

I'm no rod builder, but I'd guess you may want to try to save some weight up front with that small of a reel.

I think the Arra blanks look nice wraped in gold/black/red or variations of...

-spence

Basically the same as Spence but I have 5 guides instead of 6. I think my gathering guide (it is a 50mm Fuji Hardaloy) might be a little closer. Last guide is a 16 and the tip has a 16 ring.

Put the seat where it feels most comfortable for you. For me, that's 22". There's no magic formula. If you're building the rod to fish with for hours at a time (rather than zipping off 6 casts on a tournament field), it pays to put it to where it'll still feel right after 100 or more casts wink.gif

Find your favorite casting/ comfort rod, I don't think the overall length matters all that much. I have found that most of my rods between 8' and 10' have the same but length to an inch or so. Measure the placement of the reel seat and then tranfer that location to the Arra. Tape the reel on and see how it feels. Then lay out your guides from the tip back (I used 5 on mine) if properly laid out the gathering guide will find its rightful place. I personally feel that there is enough of a difference in individual blanks that each blank should be laid out and tested. If you stick with a formula its just like they build them at the factory. No 2 splines act the same. I did my Arra with brown foam grips, maroon over gray wraps. But I think maroon over pale gold would be even nicer. Remember tape everything on and test with a good bend in the rod and then adjust and you'll have a better rod.BTW it the best casting rod I have ever owned.

what ditch said... I use BSVLG 50,40,30,20,16, 16 or 12 tip. as for colors... the Ron Arra's look great with Light and dark brown color schemes and gold highlites... no color preserver. the browns mesh nicely into the blank color and the gold brings out the colors...

BC