Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimG

refinishing this rod - is it worth it?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have a Star inshore series ss1220ism, 7 foot 12-20lb, 3/8 - 2oz spinner. It's about 3 years old and has had alot of use. It's also been one of my favorite rods for light lures off of jetties and back bays or on a boat with light tackle. (great memories with this rod)

Anyway, I just noticed that one of the guides is loose(i can pull it right out of the wraps) and more of the guides have some corrosion on them along with the finish over the wraps flaking away.

OK (Sorry for being long winded), I don't really have the room or skill to refinish the rod, but is it worth it to get it refinished with new guides?

And - can I have it made in to a conventional?

AND, living in Monmouth county can anyone suggest a place to have it done?

thanks in advance for any help here. smile.gif

yeah that's what I figured. Thanks Al.

Maybe I'll make an attempt myself.

Would there be any problems in turning it into a casting rod instead of a spinner. Or would I have to put the guides on the opposite side, and hence turn the handle around too. I don't know much about this stuff but I thought i read once that a casting rod is splined on the opposite side.

Jim,

It is questionable whether the rod was spined when built. Yes, you can turn a spinner into a casting rod. The only issue is that the guide placement and quantity of guides are different. This will pose a few challenges when refinishing.

I recommend you give it a try over the winter. You may even become an espiring rod builder.

Al

Jim- couple of points Star advertises all their rods are spined- if you turn it into a true casting rod it might feel more comfortable with a casting or trigger reel seat- lastly Star flex coats the entire blank if it is glass and some graphite models also any place you remove a guide will expose the ribbed surface on the blank-most likley some of the flex coat will lift from the blank while you are removing the guides. It is a project done many times but as Al said it would be expensive to have it done correctly- have a go at it good pratice and the board is always here to help if you encounterproblems

John

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like I would be better off leaving it a spinner and just repairing the guides that are loose. I would like to start rod building but I have such a small place and i already get the fuzzy eyeball from da' wife from my fishin' stuff spillin out.