Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
castingkid

Beginner's annoyances!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

After this fall concluded I felt the urge to start building my own rods to my own specs and preferences. I read this board often and got some starting advice from Al Goldberg. For some reason or another I started on my first surf plug rod and I have left it incomplete waiting for underwraps to be put on.

Tonight I went down to attempt my first wraps and I must say it was more difficult than one would imagine. I think though I just made it harder on myself by not having the proper technique and experience.

I have a Pac Bay Power Wrapper with the thread holder, etc. After tonights trials I have several observations and some questions

- what is the proper way to start off wrapping threads?

- how do you keep the thread from wrapping on itself?

-how do you limit the amount of spaces you make in the thread when you stop and go?

- Do underwraps cover the entire portion of the guide area that will be wrapped, meaning do you put underwrap underneath the guidefoot, overwrap and trim bands?

- What is the appropriate way to measure the lengtho the underwrap. I was thinking I would make a mark at center and since I want the same length of overwrap on each side of guide foot, measure the same length from each foot. I am using double footed guides and I know they have different lengths so that I why I dont think that that divide by two method would be good here.

I think I have asked more than my quota of questions today, more than I would have liked, but I want to form good technique and habits now, before I form bad ones. To tell the truth, I would actually prefer to wrap the rod by hand with a bobbin like I do flies. I think it would give me far greater control, but I am certain that I will feel differently once I learn to utilize the power wrapper.. I really would appreciate some answers.. This is pretty humbling to ask so many questions. Thanks in advance..

Alex

The way I started was by reading Dale Clemens book. Still a good way to start. For a more upto date book get the one by Tom Kirkman. Must reads if your just starting out. Gary

You can try a wrap of masking tape at the edge where start your wrap. It will give you an even edge to pack your wraps against and making sure that the thread does not slide down the blank. Masking tape is your friend.

The length of your underwraps is up to you, but I think it looks better if they are all the same in proportion to the guide size that is being wrapped. So for each size guide map it out and try to be consistent as you work your way up the blank.

Go slow and don't be afraid to manipulate the thread with a thumbnail or thread tool or whatever works for you to close any gaps in the thread work.

A burnishing tool will smooth things out after the wrap is complete as well.

You can use a fly bobbin to do your wraps, there is nothing wrong with that.

In fact that is the only way I have done underwraps and guide wraps thus far.

- Thanks for the replies

I have been skim reading the Clemens book on Rod Building and it has been very helpful, but since the book is intended for Advanced Rodbuilding topics it does not go into detail the simple type questions I asked. Things like how to get the thread from wrapping over itself, although he does recommend using the thumbnail for guidance. I have not put enough time in to reading because I have been busy lately, but I am looking foward to making this a habit. Thanks for the advice Kml

Alex

Alex,

The best advice I can give you is practice, practice, practice. It's pretty easy to pick up wrapping (I do mine by hand) after you try it a few times. I would suggest some wooden dowels. You can practice wrapping and finishing on them and decide on color combinations before building the rod.

The Kirkman book (Amazon has them) has some good pictures that should make thing easier for you. Al's 4 part series on rod building should give you the info you need on length of under and over wraps, guide spacing, etc. I would also suggest visiting a local rod builder if you can find one by your house. Many times, they'll let you build the rod in their shop if you buy the components from them.

Keep the first one or two simple. Don't fall into my trap and try to get too fancy too fast. You'll just end up stripping it down and rebuilding it the next year. redface.gif

One last thing, there is no substitute for properly prepared guide feet!

Have fun, it's addictive!

P.S. What ever happened to LazyBoy? I still remember those pics you guys posted a few years back.

One last thing, there is no substitute for properly prepared guide feet!

Yeah brother!

A video can be real helpful too. I had a copy of LA Garcia's Building the Graphite Flyrod much of it applies to rodbuilding in general. if I can figure out who I lent it to I'll send it to you.

As for underwrap length... IMHO, it should be long enough and the guide positioned so that the overwraps are equal lengths. As you noted; one foot is longer than the other hence, one overwrap must extend further past the guidefoot than the other to make both wraps symmetrical.

Get a cheap blank and build your first rod on that. You'll be amazed how much better your second rod is than the first.

above all else, have fun smile.gif

gad