Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil L

MB1083M vs. MB1143F

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have a question on these two lamiglas blanks. It is about the taper on these two rods....are they a similar taper? They are very close in butt od and same tip size...one is 6" longer than the other...

The question is are the tapers the same and if they are is it possible to cut down on the tip of the 1083M to an 11 or 12 and make it behave the same as the 1143F cut down to an 11 or 12???

Obviously this would be a tog stick and I'd prefer the 1143F but cant seem to find it in the honey color....

Thanks..

Phil L

There has been an unbelieveable amount of stuff posted on these blanks, especially the 114.

IMHO, the MB1143F has a lot more power, and the MB1083M is more parabolic. If you love parabolic, you will love the MB1083M. The MB1083M has much thinner walls, making it lighter, but more fragile. I like fragile. Both can make great rods. The honey MB1143F is not standard production, but you can get it as a special order with a minimum order, so that may simplify your choices.

Popular E-glass tog blanks seem to be Lami MB1143F, BT963M, BT1083M, MB963E, and MB1083M. A lot of people are going with composites though. From what I have seen, the top tog catchers could use a partyboat rental rod and still sink the boat.

[ 11-20-2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Triet ]

BC,

The blank would obviously be cut down on the butt as well..I prefer 7.5 for boat toggin.

My question was on the tapers of the two blanks and to whether a 1083M cut to the same tip as a 1143F would behave the same, same action, etc...it appears from Triets response that the taper is different as the 1083 has a slower action than the 1143F...

What I am trying to to is either get a 1143F blank in honey or another blank which is very close to it...

Anyone else with opinions?

Phil L

If you really want the action of the MB1143F I would just get the black one, rather than using another blank that might be honey but not the same action you want. With the black one you won't have the retro 70's throwback look, but the fish won't know the difference biggrin.gif .

Is it that hard to get the 114 in HOney? Call Merrick, they might have them. I hope they stopped making them in Honey, they look more like my crap after eating a pound of Broccoli.

TO answer your question, the 2 blanks are totally different. Cutting to the same tip, or cutting the 1083M to a larger tip, will not make it act like a 114. The 114 seems to have more glass in the blank (thicker walls), which is why it bends differently - imo. I'm not a blank designer, I've never fished either blank enough to tell for sure, that is my opinion based on having those 2 and a 963 in my basement and bending them side by side.

Luckily, Triet bailed me out and bought one of the blanks from me because I don't really like them.