Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian F.

Old style Gudebrod needed

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Looking to match a rod that was wrapped in the early 80s with Gudebrod black/blue. I can't remember the name or number but it might have just been "navy" with black spun into it. I'm also looking for a bulk spool or quantity of Gudebrods multi-color thread (I think it had the whole spectrum of colors!). I have some old cane surf rods that I wanted to re-do in that funky style. Any help appreciated!

No problem, good luck with the search. Keep in mind that A thread may take a bit longer than say E, but its also far stronger and looks much better as a finished product. Pretty sure there is an ongoing discussion in here about the difference.

Im not sure the multi colored(more than 2) are still made, the two colored twists are offered but apparently not in as many options as they used to be. Like Brian and his cane rods, I wanted the rainbow thread in order to match the work of an old rodbuilder named Hoyle from Martha's Vineyard and happened to later see some for auction on ebay. Im not a pro rodwrapper, as a kid I alwlays wanted one of his rods so I ended up wrapping one for myself.

Ralph, not quite sure I follow the idea about too tight, I see tight as a reflection of how much pressure is applied by hand while wrapping the rod, not as a reflection of whether A thread or E thread is used. Plus, only done a few rods in my life and none have been cane. The ones I have done were wrapped so the thread went on tight enough but so that I could still slightly adjust/fine tune the guides once they were done.

Probably a question better addressed to one of the more experienced builders in here.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Looks like the Madeira 40wt Rayon/220yd - Scandic Melange Stock No. 9840-2202 is closest to what I am looking for. Bought some at[www.webofthread.com] Thanks Cliff and Spencer!

Found a little bit of the old Gudebrod variegated too but could use more. Looks like it goes from green to red to yellow to blue to orange.

Were you able to find it in D or E thread Brian? Thats the same coloration I have. I know when I was hunting for it I was happy to find it at all, granted I prefer A thread anyway.

Vermonter, I really don't know how their weight or size convention relates to rod wrapping thread but if their Scandic Melange (blue/black) is an A size, that would be fine. Just need to do a couple of smaller guides. Thing is, now I'll have maybe 198 yards of it left over!

Back to what you have, I'm a bit confused because in your original response you mentioned you had a 5 color thread that was in A. I'd need that in D or E because the wraps would be large.

Thanks for your help!

Brian F