Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRH

casting rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a new casting rod and want to "test the waters". This is what I know. I have had a 8 ft med/hvy diawa rod for 20 years and its now time to replace. It will be matched with a Penn 704z loaded with 20# test. I mostly use this rig for pluggin, but occasionally lobbing eels in the surf and chunks off the sand. But i don't want a big surf rod, something I can cast plugs off the rocks without throwing out my shoulder. I am thinking a 8.5 or 9 ft rod with with a soft tip that i can work a number of different plugs easily. A utility rod. Don't want to spend over 150, under 100 would be great. Suggestions (tica, tsusmi, fenwick,st croix)

I am sure others will chime in here, but IMHO you are asking that rod to do alot for under a hundred bucks. Up your price point a little and you'll be waaaaaaaay happier with the rod.

st. croix = upck.gif

Fancy ads, but cheap inferior guides.

I've heard good things about the ticas, and tsunamis, but I've never fished them.

Good luck!

Stroth

I am thinking a 8.5 or 9 ft rod with with a soft tip that i can work a number of different plugs easily. A utility rod. Don't want to spend over 150, under 100 would be great. Suggestions (tica, tsusmi, fenwick,st croix)

Get a Lami S-glass SMB 108 3M blank and build it, or have someone wrap it if you can't do it yourself.