Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

1st review on the Rainshadow SU 1209

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I caught my 1st fish on my new custom Rainshadow SU 1209 (graphite). 1st of all, I was throwing 5 oz of lead and a big chunk of bunker. No problem at all, in fact, the rod had a hard time loading. Thast being said, I was launching the bait out as far as 75-80 yards. (I didnt have to be that far out fish wise, but I wanted to see how far I could cast it). I had three fish total (18,24,31 lbs). the rod handled the fish beautifully. although you can't accurately feel what a rod will fight a fish like while building, the power of this blank is unbelieveable under the stress of a big fish..

these fish were caught in shallow water (4-5 ft) and the fish made many runs, some very close to shore and the rod handled the additional pressure very well..

another thing that is great is that this blank is EXTREMELY light. I held the rod all night long, and that wasnt an issue at all... lightest rod for the power it has that I have ever seen...

BC

SAlt,

Im not sure what the all star goes for.. but, I believe the SU 1209 sell for around $90 retail, plus shipping of course...

Surf,

youll love this one... We gotta work on John at Terminal to start carrying this line. he deals with merrick and I dont think Merrick carries these blanks... I think John will have to go thru someone else to get them.. If enough people ask, I bet he would..

BC

I'll mention it to John this weekend. I'd like to extend the 1209 to 11 feet and see how it performs. I've asked him to carry the Rainshadow boat rods also.

Alex

Korker,

Ive thought about extending them, however, the butt end radius of that rod is rather large.. it would be tuff to get an insert that would fit well and not add too much weight... Im going to consider a way to do it. Ill ask Batson Enterprises if there they have a way in mind and Ill let you know...

BC

BC

You could consider using aluminum tubing for the extention. I have used it on Batson's hot shot rods aas extention and have been very happy with the results.

I think Rainshadow should add an 11 or 11.5 footer to their lineup so we don't have to bother with extensions. This would be a great alternative to the other expensive blanks on the market. Until then we'll have to tinker..

Alex

Allstar does provide a model which is the 1209 extended to about 12 feet with a butt section. I forget the model number but a look at the breakaway site should make it obvious. i just don't have the time right now. Big Dave would know the model number also.

Doesn't Make sense to me to go through the trouble of extending a 10 footer to just 11 feet. Extended , it would only be good for bait IMO and therefoe , why not add some real length to get the best distance?

Not sure that I would bother to extend that 1209 for what it is its a very nice short heaver. the 1389 is not quite the same as the 1209 but it loads better with the weight and handles every bit as much and more. That rod is 11'6 feet. Another of my personal favorites is the 1328. Really a very nice 11' stick. makes a great canal rod for those that dont mind an 11' rod. The Rod that uses the 1209 tip is the All Star 2P1P. they shortend the back end of the 1209 and fitted it with a graphite butt section used on all the 1509, 1508, and 1507 All are very nice big beach and bait sticks. Big Dave

All Star has an excellent line of blanks & rods. I personally have a few that I enjoy fishing with. I also fish with all the other manufacturers rods, Lamiglas, St Croix, Sage , G-Loomis. All these companies and Many more have Great product lines. It is all about personal preference.