Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncsurffisher

Tuna rods

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Couple of questions for ya Al. On the Mojo Tuna rod, you say to trim the butt so that the rod is no longer than 5'6". Is this measuring around the curve of the uni-butt, or not?

Next question is a little more subjective. Looking to build a really good all around rod for some buddies of mine. Not just for stand up giant tuna fishing, but will be used for them occasionally. Will generally be be used for trolling, for yellowfin, wahoo, marlin etc. A good all purpose blue water rod that can be used for the giant bluefins if the mood strikes us. Don't want something extremely heavy, but heavy enough to tackle Marlin & big tuna. They fish on a 28' T-top with twin outboards.

First time poster, but doubt it will be the last. I'm more of a surf fisherman, mainly Hatteras. Know a couple of posters here, so I'll be around. Thanks in advance to all.

Clyde (ncsurffisher)

Clyde,

Stand the rod up on the end of the uni-butt. The vertical measurement should be 5.5 feet.

If you plan to fish from a 28 foot center console with outboards then the overall rod should be no shorter than 6 feet or else you will not be able to get around the engines when the tuna dives.

A good blank to consider for large yellowfin and smaller giants is the Lami GFC72XXH. You can both troll and chunk with it. Match it will one of the 50 wide 2-speed reels loaded with 130 lb spectra and a mono top shot and you are set.

You can get double duty out of this rod by using a UB2SC unibutt for chunking and a regular length UB2 for trolling. Just buy both unibutts since they are interchangable.

Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure I want to go with braid though. Will this rod handle an 80? Troll with 50 & do the stand up with 80? Of course now I'm buying two reels & two uni butts. Might as well make them both!

Clyde,

You can go with an 80. Just make sure when ordering the unibutt you order one with the extra wide hoods to fit the 80.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 06-04-2002).]