Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Tight Reel Seat

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

To get my reel seat where I want it on my blank its a pretty snug fit. I don't have to force it into position, but there is little space for epoxy. Can I glue it like that? Or can I ream some material out from the inside of the reel seat like I would with a cork grip? Or an I better off just buying a reel seat one size bigger? Thanks wink.gif !

Alan

I wouldn't attempt to ream it, and just the taper of the blank will ensure that the epoxy will have a glue line of adequate thickness. The potential sticky point - no pun intended wink.gif - is that the tight fit might "scrub" most all of your glue offa the blank as you slide it down into place. What I do on close fits like this is to apply epoxy not only to the seat area, but to spread a good film of the stuff for a foot or two above the reel seat's position, much like the process for installing grip materials. This will ensure that the seat arrives in its final position with adequate epoxy filling the joint. Thoroughly clean up the area above the reel seat via the usual drill with some paper towels and denatured alcohol and you'll be good to go.

I dunno, if it were me I'd just get a seat 1 size larger and not worry about it.

Besides, you'll have an orphan seat that will be a reason to get another blank wink.gif

gad

Do as Bill said and be sure the inside of the seat is coated as well as the blank. Also when I have a thin bond line , I use the more liquid flexcoat rod bond rather than the usual Kardohl I use when I have a lot of space to fill. The inside of the reel seat has litt;le ribs. Its not a good idea to sand them off to make room. As long as you have some clearance , that is you are not forcing it down , you should be OK.

Oh yeah , be sure to clean the inside of the reel seat. there's always lots of black dust in there that will weaken your bond.