Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameson

Making the 6' Jetty Gaff

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am very Interested in making one of these things as I plan on tripling the time I spend on the South Shore (LI) Jetties. Should I go longer than 6' maybe? I was thinking a broomstick and a big gaff hook would be the simplest to construct, but I dont want the hook falling off after it has been dug home and I am using it to lift? Any sugestions on how to attach the hook for utmost strength? Thanks ahead of time.

JC

JC,

Here is how I make a jetty or small boat gaff:

For the gaff handle a use a 6-8 foot piece of ugly stick scrap blank. However, now that Midland Tackle is closed it maybe difficult finding a source. You can buy gaff handles made from glass blank material.

For a hook I use a 10/0 or 12/0 treble hook, the kind they use on codfish jigs. I grind off the barbs.

Get a 6-8 inch piece of foam grip material and glue it in place on the butt end of the blank allowing at least 1.5 inches of blank for a butt cap.

I take a 7 foot piece of 60 lb wire and attach it to the treble hook eye with a haywire twist. Then I thread the wire up through the tip of the blank and fit the shank of the treble into the inside the tip of the blank. I first wrap the shank of the treble with thread or mono to get a snug fit.

Be care to only put the top end of the shank approximately half it's length into the blank.

Mix alot of slow cure liquid epoxy glue. Stand the blank straight up. Hold the wire taught and centered in the blank and pour the liquid epoxy glue into the top of the blank. Stand the blank straight up and let it cure for two days.

Use a piece of pipe or a strong pliers to gently bend out the hooks away from the blank.

Wrap the tip end of the blank approximately 2 inches with black size a thread and give it two coats of finish to reinforce the wall.

Get a Fuji BRC butt cap to fit the butt OD of the blank. Get a piece of waterproof nylon cord and make a 6-8 inch loop and tie a figure eight knot on the tags ends.

Thread the double nylon line through the hole in the butt cap and pull the loop snug to the knot inside the butt cap.

Glue the butt cap onto the butt of the blank and let dry overnight.

Total cost $10-15.

Al

Your idea sounds great I have one worry however. I would like to go with a single hook so I could uncover the tip (cork covered or rubber) relatively quickly and put it to use. That gargantuan treble seems like trouble (to me) though it would be much easier to gaff the fish quickly with those two extra hooks at night.

If I were to go with a single gaff hook, then heat the top and bend it to a right angle, epoxy that to a broom stick or a hard light wood, then wrap it over with some parachute cord or similar real tight, tie it off, then epoxy over that. The right angle at the tip of the hook shank would prevent the hook from being pulled downward right? Just an idea. Maybe even tie a pice of wire on the hook bend and run it up the shaft to the grip and tie it around the top and back around itself by the grip, then just wrap the whole stick in electrical tpe and add cork tape for handle? Seems very strong to me even if not adding the wire insurance.

Aluminum shaft maybe?

JC

Jameson,

Although I gaff few fish, its good to have along,in case the big one comes along. Home Depot has an aluminum paint roller handle that extends with a twist. When I'm finished painting the interior of the house this winter,I think this might become the handle off my next jetty gaff. For a hook I bought a big Stainless Tuna hook from Terminal Tackle. I pop rivet it to the aluminum then wrap electrical tape to hold the hook. If I knew how to make some fancy wraps I'd do that. You can fill the tube with spray insulation so it will float.

Shagsmile.gif

Jamesom, kinda got the same ideas as Al. Bought a 80/130 8' second blank from Midland $10, got a 2" stainless gaff hook from Merrick Tackle. Grind off just enough of the tang so you can wiggle it in the end of the blank, mix up some epoxy and just keep filling the end of the blank, then insert the hook and place the hook down to let the epoxy fill around the hook, after drying make a wrap with thread around the blank about 3 inches up to reinforce the tip, add some eva grips and your all set. Cost about $15 Prospector

Another suggestion is to tape about a six inch piece of surgical tubing near the end of the gaff handle to slip over the tip of the gaff for safety. If you use the big treble then use three separate pieces of surgical tubing.

When you are ready to gaff a fish then pop off the tubing from the points.

Al

Al,

Thanks for the great instructions!

I have a very beefy lower half of an 10' blank, and will be making a gaff from it. It already has big, foam grips, so all I need to do is epoxy and reinforce it.

Thanks again.

TH

You could make a ball of masking tape and push it down the blank to about 1 1/2" from the end. Fill it with epoxy and set your BIG hook in. When hard put on the cap.

Same think on the other end glueing the rope handle in place.

A wrapped nylon string handle looks nice.

A thin bit of epoxy where thw string meets the blank keeps it from loosening up.