Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpoliti

Janns Netcraft or Cabelas Blanks

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys for the hell of it I'm thinking of building an inexpensive 9' 2pc rod as a travel rod (going to CR this spring). I realize that a 9' 2pc rod is a bit big but the fly rod that I am bringing is a 9' 2pc, so my rod tube will already be 4.5'. I was wondering if anyone has seen or used the following blanks:

1- Janns Sportsmans Series IM6 9' MH Fast Action - 1/2 - 2 1/2oz part# 296-211

2- Cabelas Fish Eagle II 9' H Fast Action

- 1/2-2 oz part# HS-31-8105-906

3- Cabelas Salmon/Sthead Custom 9' MH Fast Action

- 1/2-2oz part#HS-31-0836-906

Thanks for any opinions

Tony

I own a Cabela's IM6 Pro Guide series 9' salmon/steelhead rod model#sss906 line wt 10-20lb lure wt 1/2 to 2oz. It is a factory built rod that was purchased 15+ years ago. Will it handle 2oz? NO WAY! It will throw up to 1oz and anything over that gives you a really bad feeling. I've cast a 1.5oz deadly dick spoon and it was definately overloaded. I used it in the surf for end of season rat stripers and shad and it was a blast.I know the new ones are different and it isn't the fish Eagle II but they are rated the same. I like the rod but if your fishing in any current or looking to cast a 2oz lure I would look somewhere else.I hope this helps.

I've used the Janns 7ft' blank. It is a heavy IM6 Bass blank in plum and I was very happy with it. Caught quite a few fish on it. I wrapped it as a baitcaster and used it to toss bucktails.

Since the blank you mention isn't the same, I would reccommend it only if the materials are the same. I think they are a nice blank for the price.