Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sportyguy33

Plugging Rod Guide Choices?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have been using the Fuji Alconite guides for the past year on my plugging rods and I like them very much. I use the double foot BMNAG guides and the BMNAT tip. I have also been experimenting with the new concept approach and have been very pleased.

Joe, do you mean double or single foot ?

If so, it is entirely up to you. There is no right or wrong. In a rod that is built for the weights that you describe I always liked the look of a double foot for the first two guides and single foots out to the tip.

I prefer to underwrap all my guides. I also like Fuji BSVLG or BHVLG depending on the layout. On a 9 footer I am likely to look at a BHVLG striper then switch to BSVLG. On a 10 footer , depending on the reel , i will just use the %0 BSVLG as a striper. On all rods , you want a FUJI SIC tip. Sure they cost $14 but they are the most important ring on the rod. Also , use a big tip ring. i find the Fuji 16 SIC tips can be had in tube sizes to fit most rods and i like the bigger ring size at 16 even for lighter 9 footers like the arra 1083 and 1084 or the 1081L or Allstar 1145/2 etc.

I hear people sometime knocking the wear characteristics of the Fuji hardloy but I've fished them myself for 3 decades and never , ever had a problem with wear or grooving. I also have seem many instances where people take a header and the hardloy guides survive while a similar fall with a rod that has SiC for all the guides , not just the tip , ends up breaking 3 or 4 rings. that is specifically the trade off between hardloy guides and SiC guides. the hardloy are tougher but the SiC are more wear resistant and easier on line.

I also don't see a middle of the road change. Either use the hardloy with an SiC or go to all SiC. i am intigued by all the various new guides with new frame materials and new guide ring materials and TiN coatings etc. However , I'm not going to change what i use every few months to chase some guide properties. i know the Fuji hardloy guides work and i also know the benefits and problems with Fuji SiC. I like the idea of sticking with the proven guides until the others have been around a long time.

The only rods I normally will ever underwrap, are rods I intend to use for a bit and sell, or those that I build for people. None of my personal rods, as well as any of tournament rods are underwrapped. On my tournament rod I dont even grind the guide foot, nor do I bring the thread from the blank up and over the foot. I just start the thread where you would normally stop the wrap and bring it down to about a 1/16th to the begining of the foot and stop. I then just flex coat over the foot. Never has a guide moved on me doing it this way on any of my tournament rods. I have been building my T-Rods this way for 20 years, and have never had an issue in doing so. Rods that over time and abuse that have had to be cut apart and rewrapped have shown a little wear and scuffing under the foot but nothing that could be condsidered harmful to the blank or cause for concern that the rod will fail in some way. I like doing this to keep my blanks as crsip and light as possible. Happy Holidays Big Dave