Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bait O' Eggs

Terms for decorative wraps

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I had a fishing guide stop by yesterday and ask to have me build him a special rod that only he would be fishing (no customers) and he wanted it to stand out very different, so it would be a conversation starter in his boat with customers when he cant find common ground to discuss things with while spending the day with strangers.

First and foremost he wanted a big fancy thread "pimp decoration" just ahead of the cork. I had to laugh since I had never heard of a decoative wrap referred to as a pimp decoration.

What other slang terms have you heard of for decorative wraps?

I suggested a spiral wrap since they are almost non-existent in my part of the west coast, he wants red thread to match his boat color, which he wanted trimmed in gold thread. Any suggestions to trick out a rod to make it a stand out??

Hi you might try using the new holographic guides from American tackle -one could always stick the rod itself in the water and used it as a teaser-seriously they do stand out from the rest-gold underwraps with red HT electra overwraps-a small US flag alwys makes for a conversation piece- many customers think they are decals-and having it explained to them that it is really thread work could offer you some additional sales in the future.

John

Red & Gold, can't get much easier than that. Underwrap with Gold thread, add some metallic Red trim bands wherever you like, wrap the Guides with Candy Apple Nylon, add gold inlays, no color preserver.

For the butt wrap, depends on how many wraps you've done before (sounds like none?). Whatever you decide, make sure it is on point - you can do a complicated wrap that looks like crap, nobody will care if you spent 10 hours on it, all they will see is it looks like crap.

Red & Gold are great colors, underwrap in Gold thread (or Red), do a chevron with bands of Gold & Red, varying teh amount of REd & Gold (example: start out with 5 REd threads, then wrap one Gold. Then 4 Red threads, then 2 Gold, 3 REd, 3 Gold, 2 REd, 4 Gold, 1 REd, 5 Gold) TRim it in Black, and you have yourself a nice looking wrap.

LOL !!!! "Ghetto Special" You guys are killin me.

Billy: you said, "do a chevron with bands of Gold & Red, varying teh amount of REd & Gold ... 5 REd threads, then wrap one Gold. Then 4 Red threads, then 2 Gold, 3 REd, 3 Gold, 2 REd, 4 Gold, 1 REd, 5 Gold..." PLEASE tell me how I can learn this. It's not a topic in Kirkman's book. I see wraps all over the place with fancy threads layered in between the underwrap. How the heck is it done? If you can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Uhm, I think Tom K's book has instrustions on how to do a Diamond, &/or a Chevron, no? The last Chapter? There are 2 sites on the internet that have some sort of instructions on how to do a butt wrap: one is leapingbass.com (no idea the exact link, but it has been posted on rodbuilding.org quite a few times), and visualrwrap.com - I put something out there for a complex wrap.

Besides that, it is not an easy thing to explain in a post. Take a look at those sites, and post confusion questions here and we'll try and help out.