Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

I am off to play again....

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

in Allentown for the weekend at the Rodcrafters National Seminar. They gave me the weekend off so I am a civilian observer this weekend. I am looking forward to meeting several of the SOL members that are coming.

I will be back on-line Sunday night to give you a full report on any new goodies.

Have a great weekend,

Al

I'll be there along with my wife ,Cathy.

She is working on her first rod which she should be finishing up next week if all goes well with the butt wrap.

She is really enjoying the decorative side of rodbuilding.

Stop and say hi ,we shouldn't be too hard to pick out since I don't think many wives usually attend the seminar.

KenM

I am back from Allentown and had a great time. Met Ken M and Mark from SOL and really spent alot of time yakking it up.

I picked up lots og goodies to play with, like:

- 9 foot 16-17 weight 4-piece composite big game fly rod. I think it may have the Crazy One name on it to bag that big bad yellowfin tuna this year.

- 9 foot 10 weight 4 piece 3rd generation fly blank. This will make a great travel rod.

- 3 ft 10 inch RT80 tuna blank for fishing giant stand up. This will go into an Aftco short Unibutt and be fished with an 80 wide International.

- Arra XRA's 961M, 108 3, 1204 and 1205.

Todd Vivian of Lamiglas did not have the prototype composite surf blanks yet. I should hear something about them soon.

Al

Al,

It was a real pleasure to meet the fellow SOLers that made it to the Allentown show. What a wealth of information and what a hoot to hang out with such characters. The rodbuilding talent and display of goods was mindboggling. Thanks for indulging all my questions, helping me select blanks, and for being such good company. As much as I like rod builing, I'm really looking forward to fishing with you and your partners one of these days. Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 03-12-2001).]

My head is still spinning cwm31.gif There is a lot of stuff there - too much to consume in 3 days. Nice meeting Mark, Oz (finally figured out what Oznadad stands for) and Ken M - hope to see the purple shaded wrap your wife does soon!!

My room, which was cleaned before the seminar - is now a disaster once again. Picked up some freshwater stix, bucktail fluke rods, flounder pounders, as well as a few composite Bass/Blue Lamiglas stix.

Thanks to Al, I now have the task of putting together a demo on butt wraps. Not a big deal - By the time next year rolls around I should find some time to put one together - I should have a lot of practice too - I have about 25 blanks sitting in my room. That should be about another 35-40 wraps. wink.gif

There is one thing I forgot to pick up at the show though, maybe someone can help me out. It is a product called Spare Time. Does anyone know a place I can get some from ?

Billy

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 03-12-2001).]

Pleasure meeting all you guy's .I just hope one day to get half as good as you guy's are at building.

Billy is correct ,there is way too much info to consume it all.He is also obsessed with butt wrapping ,so I am looking forward to his demo next year already.

I also went home like everyone else with way too many goodies:Just a few of the bunch,

arra 961m's ,1083's,

perigee 1081m

9'-12wt

3pc. 9'10wt. perigee (My wife's blank,she loved the extra gold flake )

My suburban is FULL of Ben's goodies that I am delivering to him at the Tri-State club meeting on Thursday.(thank god they aren't mine I wouldn't have room for them)

Todd Vivian was great,I really enjoyed seeing how the blanks were made.

Thank's for answering all my questions ,Al.

Only dissapointing part of the seminar is that you didn't give a demo this year, hopefully Dick will put you back to work next year.

KenM

It was a great experience and nice to meet Al G. and Billy in person. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet some of the others. That Billy is going to be a rod building super star - the boy is focused. As for me, now I have 14 rods to build. Ouch. Al, I meant to thank you a couple of more times for you generosity in helping the young ones out, you're a good man. If you guys don't hear from me for a while you know what I'm doing. But I'm sure I'll have some questions for Al.

Phil

Al, ...I'm really looking forward to fishing with you and your partners one of these days. Mark [This message has been edited by Mark (edited 03-12-2001).]

Hiya Mike,

Are you up to no good again? cwm13.gifsmile.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

Your Craziness,

Al G. and I spent more than a few minutes talking about rod building, fishing Long Island, and, of course, your Craziness as well. I really enjoyed soaking up all the stories and info that Al shared with me. From fluking to togging to chunking to bucktailing, he had me cursing the distance between DC and Long Island. I will certainly make an effort to get up there this year and I hope you're around when I do. I always enjoy an education in fishing and good company. Mark