Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PacificPanda

Surf Fishing Rigs & Baiting

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hi guys/gals.

What kind of rigs do you use for surf fishing.

For people who cast out and soak the bait:

What do your leaders look like?

I once saw a rig that features a sliding sinker that I think was for surf fishing. I've always reeled in after a cast instead of letting the bait sit mostly because I don't know how to properly set up a rig designed to sit in surf.

I'm currently trying/practicing plugs, and swimbaits. No luck yet but I've got tons left to learn so I'm ever hopeful.

Also

Say you're fishing off of the California coast anywhere between Pacifica and and Guerneville shooting for striper, how big should bait be and should it cover the hook completely? And should I be using frozen anchovy? I've got squid.

I've also got smoked fish. LOL :D LOL:D  

I gave up bait fishing out here. Current and wave too strong, switched to lures instead. A lot more fun anyway. If I do, would use sliding sinker with sand crabs as bait and a 15-20" hook leader.

i would use freshly dead anchovies whole, wrapped with magic thread on a hook. The rig will be a high low with a 4 oz sinker at least. Lobbed out not too far. Bait checked often because of the crabs. You watch the tip of your rod going back and forth with the sway of the waves, if there is something different about it, a crab's got it.

If its shaking or pulling, its a big crab or a fish.

Nothing else out there on a sandy beach to take squid except sting rays and sharks. Maybe you get lucky with some rcg complex fish

If I decided to bait fish with a sliding sinker in the surf I almost always had Bloodworms or Pile worms as bait. I was targeting stripers and flaties(flounder, Halibut...etc.) Normally I would have three hooks spaced about 14-18" apart with the bottom hook being an attractor with a single hook and beads ranging in size with(orange, red, green & brown or from small to large going two sizes larger as the color changes until I had my attractor built) The whole rig will slide under the sinker that was about 40" above the bottom hook :p This rig produced well when the flounder was off of the short strike and taking :p

This is how i surf fish around my area(malibu and ventura)

For surf perch I like to use curly tail grubs or gulp sandworms 2 inches long in camo color.  I use either a size 6 or 8 owner mosquito hook and a sliding sinker heavy enough to feel the bottom but still moves freely in the breakwater.  And I like 6 or 8lb test. 

If i am going for halibut I almost always throw 4inch swimbaits or lucky craft flash minnow 110. I have my reels set up with 40lb braid and a short fluoro leader usually 15lb

Greetings people, 

Long time lurker first post.  Lots of great info to be found here.  I wanted to bump this thread back to the top with a similar question / topic

(seeing as I cant yet start a new thread).

Rock fishing from the rocks -

What are your common rigs bait and or lures? 

I've been workings some swim baits from the rocks with poor success and cant seem to hook any thing but the rocks while bait fishing.  I've seen guys fishing with floats and others soaking bait with multi hook rigs I've done some research, but I thought this would be a good intro / topic to introduce myself with.  

As to the thread were actually in, i typically will fish the surf for perch with a 8'+ trout / salmon rod w/ 12 lb test and a Carolina rig some times drop shot w/ a curly tail grub, Berkeley gulp sand worm or some natural bait I can forage from the beach.  In the past I've used a lot heavier rigs for perch i.e. multiple hook leaders and 3 oz weights.  But as of today I like going a lot lighter.  I've also started throwing flies in the surf for the first time this year 6 wt and 8 wt rods.  I've gotten a few perch and hooked into stripper.  But it's been a pretty slow season for me .    

At any rate Rock fishing has been catching my eye and I was looking for some in site if any one wants to chime in.  If some one wants to start a thread that would be great (any one roping up to get to the good spots?).

If any one wants to show a guy around hit me up I'm always down to split some gas and pitch in for bait.  If you want to try throwing line and casting flies we could also play with that and if your interested in trout fishing let me know maybe we can trade.

J. Ice

Hi Lo rig. Squid is a good hardy bait or any of the normal baits ie: shrimp , prawns , anchovy ect. As for sinkers use something you can find cheap as your going to loose lots. Tire weights , tobacco bags ect. Rig the sinker with something like 3" of 10 lb mono so when you get hung up you can break it off without loosing the whole rig. Mussels off the rocks can make an excellent bait along with the worms that inhabit the mussel colony.

Hi Lo rig. Squid is a good hardy bait or any of the normal baits ie: shrimp , prawns , anchovy ect. As for sinkers use something you can find cheap as your going to loose lots. Tire weights , tobacco bags ect. Rig the sinker with something like 3" of 10 lb mono so when you get hung up you can break it off without loosing the whole rig. Mussels off the rocks can make an excellent bait along with the worms that inhabit the mussel colony.

Helpful and nice. And he gives good advice. :agree:

Helpful and nice. And he gives good advice. :agree:

"Helpful & Nice"?????!!!!!...I once witnessed Moocks give a 90 year old Grandma with a walker a SAVAGE forearm shiver to the ribs at Crispy Cremes when the Grandma went to grab the last powered jelly dounut!!!...Obviously somebody HACKED Moocks account!!!!...."I took Grandma Down!!!"....DAMN Mooocks!!!....Mark

The guys that do really well for rockfish and lings from shore use long rods and heavy tackle. 80lb braid and similar leader. Dropshot style rig. Search the web for Surf Samurai rig. He's dialed in on that style of fishing.

If you use a 10lb leader for your sinker you better bring a new sinker for each cast! :p

Surfsamurai wrote "I use 80 lbs power pro braid main line to 200 lbs power swivel to 100 lbs anti-abrasion Cajun leader to 5 oz torpedo weight"  

That's ridiculous!  Yet for some reason pretty awesome!  When fishing for meat you don't f-around.

I like it.  Thanks for tossing that name out there Mike415 by just Googling that, I got lots of great info.  I hate to say it's over kill, but if it works.................  

10 lb mono...... I tried that a couple of times, I ran out of rigs and spooled my reel..... lesson learned

I I checked out my rig and I think I gonna be setting up and giving it a try.  Here's my rig.

Diawa - Emblem 10' Med - Heavy 3 - 6 oz. 15 -30 lb

Penn - Sargus 6000 40 60 lb braid (gotta change it to verify it)

This is my set up for casting plugs for stripers  I think as the seasons change so dose my quarry.

Now any one trying this vertical Jigging?  seems a little odd off a rock / cliff right?

Another question, I just inherited a rod

White Pacific

14' 

3 pc.

The reel it came with looks a little under sized (I think most would).  Any thoughts / recommendations for decent pair to the rod 

inexpensive / cheep I plan on mainly using it for chucking crab snares.  High gear ratio I think would be best. 

Thanks again   

ICE

Quote:

Originally Posted by PURE ICE View Post

Greetings people, 

Long time lurker first post.  Lots of great info to be found here.  I wanted to bump this thread back to the top with a similar question / topic

(seeing as I cant yet start a new thread).

Rock fishing from the rocks -

What are your common rigs bait and or lures? 

I've been workings some swim baits from the rocks with poor success and cant seem to hook any thing but the rocks while bait fishing.  I've seen guys fishing with floats and others soaking bait with multi hook rigs I've done some research, but I thought this would be a good intro / topic to introduce myself with.  

As to the thread were actually in, i typically will fish the surf for perch with a 8'+ trout / salmon rod w/ 12 lb test and a Carolina rig some times drop shot w/ a curly tail grub, Berkeley gulp sand worm or some natural bait I can forage from the beach.  In the past I've used a lot heavier rigs for perch i.e. multiple hook leaders and 3 oz weights.  But as of today I like going a lot lighter.  I've also started throwing flies in the surf for the first time this year 6 wt and 8 wt rods.  I've gotten a few perch and hooked into stripper.  But it's been a pretty slow season for me .    

At any rate Rock fishing has been catching my eye and I was looking for some in site if any one wants to chime in.  If some one wants to start a thread that would be great (any one roping up to get to the good spots?).

If any one wants to show a guy around hit me up I'm always down to split some gas and pitch in for bait.  If you want to try throwing line and casting flies we could also play with that and if your interested in trout fishing let me know maybe we can trade.

J. Ice

Welcome aboard. I've seen a couple different guys using a fly rod off the beach this season. One guy (not sure if it was you) hooked a striper right down the beach from me and fought the fish for awhile before the line snapped,but it looked like he was having a blast while he was fighting the fish.

Surfsamurai wrote "I use 80 lbs power pro braid main line to 200 lbs power swivel to 100 lbs anti-abrasion Cajun leader to 5 oz torpedo weight"  

That's ridiculous!  Yet for some reason pretty awesome!  When fishing for meat you don't f-around.

I like it.  Thanks for tossing that name out there Mike415 by just Googling that, I got lots of great info.  I hate to say it's over kill, but if it works.................  

10 lb mono...... I tried that a couple of times, I ran out of rigs and spooled my reel..... lesson learned

I I checked out my rig and I think I gonna be setting up and giving it a try.  Here's my rig.

Diawa - Emblem 10' Med - Heavy 3 - 6 oz. 15 -30 lb

Penn - Sargus 6000 40 60 lb braid (gotta change it to verify it)

This is my set up for casting plugs for stripers  I think as the seasons change so dose my quarry.

Now any one trying this vertical Jigging?  seems a little odd off a rock / cliff right?

Another question, I just inherited a rod

White Pacific

14' 

3 pc.

The reel it came with looks a little under sized (I think most would).  Any thoughts / recommendations for decent pair to the rod 

inexpensive / cheep I plan on mainly using it for chucking crab snares.  High gear ratio I think would be best. 

Thanks again   

ICE

If your using 10 lb mono for your main line (Spooled your reel) or leader your going to loose lots of rigs :shock:

J. Adams,

If it was the 3rd of July, at dusk with about 10+ gear guys out that was me.  That night will live in infamy for me 6wt rod 15 lb leader 5 minutes of fight I got that dog to the beach long enough to see him splash and make another run for it.  What a rush!  Haven't had a ride since. 

Mooks,

A few rigs lost.  just adding weight to keep the bait in place.  Moving on up. 

I'm off to FL for 4 days in Ft. Lauder dale to see what I can hook.  I'll be trolling in the blue and casting in the ICW maybe I'll get out the Glades for a day.  Should be good.  I just need to wash off this stink that I've been wearing for the last couple of months.  

Thanks for the great incite.  Lets keep it going.

ICE

Pure Ice - that heavy set up SS described isn't necessarily to fight the fish, but to survive the rocks. You go out with much less than 50# braid and a stiff, heavy mono leader, you might as well just toss your tackle into the water and stop by the fish market on the way home. Just be careful about breaking your rod/bail or slicing a finger tendon trying to dislodge a wedged sinker. As they say, if you aren't losing rigs, you're not fishing in the right place!