Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seachaser

Looking for the ultimate 3oz rod..

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am looking for the ultimate 2-4 oz rod and was wanting some suggestions. I have narrowed it down to century flattie, gambit 24, and purglas 350-1. I want it to be at least 11'6" for bait and spoons. Any other suggestions and a builder would be appreciated.

In my humble opinion you would be hard pressed to do better than the Zziplex Lite Bass rod. I have one set up as a spinning rod. I use it for plugging and have thrown metal up to 4oz no problem. It is far and away my favorite beach rod.

Anyway , best I think now would be the century tip tornado ultra light. the Flattie is very nice for the money. Other good candidates at 10.5 to 11 feet would be an Allstar 1267 for low money. It would be the arra 1322 for that weight range not the 1321 and thats higher priced but nice and has a moderate action. If you need the almost 12 foot length , the first two I mentioned.

Lets first take into consideration that there really is no ultimate rod. It mostly depends on the person swinging the stick. But with that said these are some of the better rods available for the 2-4oz casting and 3 might not be the sweet spot for all of them, but all will give exceptional performance with 3oz.

These are some of my personal favorites

From Conoflex

The Flattie Fanatic 11', The Bass Bandit 11', I really like the Cast and Snatch with the long butt section making it 11', its a smoking stick. I'm also a fan of the barracuda at 11', it's an outstanding plugging rod for throwing plugs a very long ways.

From Century

I like the Tip Tornado Ultra Light. A couple of us are talking to century about making a TTUL factory length at 11'6 the rod now is 13' but it's feather light, and fishes like any 10 1/2 footer out there. The Gambit is a very nice rod and has a huge fan base.

From Zziplex,

Without a doubt the 125G is a rocket launcher, as is the Primo Light. Any of the Bass Blanks, like the Bass Marine and Sea Raider II both at 10' are incredible sticks. As well as the PTX and Lt Bass. If you are looking for an ultimate rod, my guess is you could find one in the group I just mentioned. I own and use each of the rods I've mentioned, and I cant really find anything bad to say about any of them. But again it really boils down to what you want to do with the rod.

From All Star

I like the 1267 and the 1266 for 3oz But I would have to say the best performing distance 3oz rod would be rod known as the 123 (1477/2)

Cheers All Big Dave

[ 05-08-2005, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]

I have the PT bass, conoflex flattie, and the breakaway 123 and was looking for something a little slimmer. Tell me more about the century and how it compares to other rods. Big Dave, I noticed you didn't mention purglas. Is there any underlying message there? :>)

i've casted purglas 400-1, century flattie, conoflex flattie, arra 1321,allstar 1266 and 1267, conoflex gambit 24...

of the ones i've tried, if you want something to cast as far as possible out of this crowd with 3 and a small bait i'd get the gambit... if you are only fishing bait.. it's heavy to me for a plugging stick...

while the lighter purglas rods fight fish like nobody's business, i don't think they cast as well as the others... both allstars are awesome but shorter than you say you want...

for me, the conoflex flattie is perfect at 2-3 and a small bait and is fun..

but of all those i've tried, the one i have and will have for a very long time is the century flattie.. can't compare to the zziplex bass rods, but this thing is the most versatile, fun stick i've owned... slim and light and cast a very long way from 2-about 5 oz if you have to...

Big Dave-One thing I cannot understand, when you say there is not a ultimate surfcasting rod, since 95% of the Cape Cod Canal fisherman are using the Lamiglas Ron Arra XRA-1322 11'one piece rod for pluggin' and for jigging the XRA-1261MH 10'6" model?

Big Dave-One thing I cannot understand, when you say there is not a ultimate surfcasting rod, since 95% of the Cape Cod Canal fisherman are using the Lamiglas Ron Arra XRA-1322 11'one piece rod for pluggin' and for jigging the XRA-1261MH 10'6" model?

with all due respect (and no disrespect at all to lami), at the outerbanks you MIGHT see 2 lami's in a week of hard fishing on the crowded beaches... everyone has their own likes and style. i think that is what Big Dave meant. There are rods that I like with 5 oz for example that some people like for 8 oz.. there are also rods that some folks on this board swear are the best casting rod in it's weight range that i think cast like a wet dish rag.. but i won't call any names.. wink.gif

I don't think I would agree that 95% of canal fisherman use lami 1322's or 126 1MH's. Tons of people using alstar 1209. Allstar 1266 , I used an XRA 1205 the last 4 or 5 years and this year a Century Tip Tornado. Many guys like shorter 9 footers for jigging like a Loomis 108-30 which I also used for a few years about 7 yeras or so ago.

Anyway , I don't think you can generalize that 95% of the peole use 1 or 2 rods anymore. Too many good rods out there now.

Hi Guys

A couple things, first the question about Purglass. The Purglass rods that I have handled were all really nice in their own right, and they no doubt make a fine product. It's just they don't suit me well. Although I have not used all of their line of rods the ones that I have used have just not felt that great in my hands. (just my own personal opinion) I find them to be a bit large in the butt sections. But aside from that I do think they perform very well. Another Rod that I didn't mention is Grey's they too are a British blank and are an outstanding value for the dollar. The BZE series are great fishing rods.

As for the question about 95% lami's being used at the canal. If you were to go back 10 years or so I would have to agree with you. But not any more. More and more fishermen in New England are finding out that there is more to rods than Lami. And the Internet has opened up the world to shopping. For years in this area when you go into a shop to look for a blank the only thing most shops stock is Lami. But again that's all changing for sure. If a Lami product is the only choice you have when you go into a shop your pretty limited in your choice. Most fishermen like to pick up and feel a blank before putting out couple hundreds bucks or more for a blank. But again the Internet has had some great information on rods, which also has taught folks there are many choices today in really nice high quality sticks. Lami makes a quality product. I wont knock them. I've used some Lami rods for years, but I no longer use any of them at all. And this is my reason why. I just don't like the feel of them compared to other rods. I personally like sticks that are very fast and extremely crisp, and very hi modulus. I am just plain addicted to that type of power in rods. I find Lami and Loomis, and I guess you could put St Croix in that mix as well, as blanks that have a very soft feel to them. They kind of just shake like a noodle. They are very easy rods to cast and not much effort is needed to get them to work. But again those types of rod just do nothing for me personally.

TB is spot on when I comes to fishing the OBX, It's almost like once you go beyond southern NJ rod selection and rod length really begin to change. I have been using and dealing in British rods for about 20 years. In all those years I have never found and American product that could compete with them on the field. And all the distance and casting records support that.

I think one thing we can all apprecate, is the fact thier is so many choices in rods. And whats suits one angler may not another. Which again kinda supports the no smoking gun of an ultimate rod. Cheers Big Dave

I have got to say one of my favorite blanks that fits that bill is the Allstar 1505. It is rated at 1-5 oz and throws them all well. 3oz is going a country mile for sure. It is very light and fishes like a dream. I have built 8 for customers over the last 2 months and just took some more ordrs. All I can say is AWESOME!!!!!!