Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KLE

Thanks Worcboy!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

For the Great rod you built for me. I know you're a busy guy, but you still made time for wrapping this stick.

It's a AMTack Patriot 1087 wrapped spinning, first two guides are double foot BHLG's, I think a 40 and a 30, then 4 BYLG's finishing in a SIC top. I'll post some pics of the subtle wraps as soon as I find the damn cables for the Digital camera. As far as the blank goes, very nice. I've thrown 5" mambos to 1.5 oz needles comfortably. Only one schoolie so far on the rod, but it seems like it's capable of throwing light plugs while still having some nuts. One great + on this blank is that it retails for under $50.

Thanks again Bill,

Pics to follow

Good luck with the rod, KLE. I have the Rainshadow 1087 that I wrapped over the winter and I love it. It's quickly become my favorite rod for this area. I'm curious as to how similar/dissimilar they are to eachother.

Mike W.

Mike, I'm told that the blanks are very similar. The American tackle blank apparently has a little more glass in the composite ratio, a fractionally larger butt, diameter(ahemwink.gif) and slightly faster action. The Batson was my first choice, but when the dealer I went to told me he was out of the Batson's and had the AMTackle's at a lower price...Sold!

BTW: your welcome. Good to see you can actually catch fish with it too, what your second/third cast that morning?

I was impressed with the range of plugs we could cast with that rod. You never know until you really fish it what a blank can or cannot do no matter what the mfg or rod bulider claims. That Patriot cast from 5" SOL Mambos to that surfmaster with ease. Oh, That surfmaster you gave me is above me bench. After that fiasco of me losing it on my first cast and finally rehooking it with another plug it is out of the bag! See I can catch things!

Billy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great review!

Just to clear something up. Our Patriotic series is made for us by All Star the former factory making Rainshadow blanks. Rainshadow is now making their own blanks. I'm not sure if these RS blanks are the same as their former models. They're made with a different graphite cloth now on differnet mandrels.

All Star has an exclusive deal on the graphite prepreg that we use. They also use the same mandrels for our Patriotic series that were used for RS.

By the way our surf rods are NOT composites they are all 44 million modulus graphite. Not that there is any thing wrong with a composite blank but there are no composites in our Patriotic line.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Joe,

Thanks for clearing up any mis-information that was floating around here. It is a great series of blanks.

Bill

evn for those sissy spin fishermen like KLE tongue.gif