Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikT

Grinding guide feet

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've never built a rod just curious as to the reasons behind grinding?And, what are some of the negative effects you might see from not having grinded the guides before building the rod?

Thanks,

ErikT

You have to grind the feet to make them sit perfectly flat on the blank and, to allow a more

gradual slope for the thread wraps to ride up and over.After grinding you should protect the now exposed metal with clear nail polish or something.

If you don't grind the feet-they can dig into the blank (if not laying properly flat),when it is put under stress and weaken your rod!

When grinding make sure you do not leave any sharp burrs, that is worst then not grind at all. make it smooth and transitional to the blank (lay flat). Some guys follow up with primer paint or epoxy covering the metal. Be carful here too that it doesn't bleed into the thread. Wait to it is 100% dry. I usually don't do anything with the grinded feet.

After grinding polish smooth with emory cloth or wire wheel, touch up bare metal with matching color rustoleum spray paint or a sharpie permanent magic marker. Follow up with a light coat of color preserver, no rust, no ugly rust stains bleeding thru the wraps ever.

All of the above, plus IMHO, the guide should look like it grew out of the blank.

The opposite condition is known as "turd on a log" and is a sure sign of a hack.

no rust, no ugly rust stains bleeding thru the wraps ever.

Do you ever wrap with light Nylon threads over the guide with no color preserver? Say, Gunmetel 1011, or the light Blue color, the number escapes me.