Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bummy

Stand-up Rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Al: Can you give me some idea of the anatomy of a stand-up rod? Is a gimbal used at the butt of the rod? Should the buttgrip be longer than usual? Should the foregrip go to just below the first guide?. Can regular guides be used in place of rollers? Should a spiral wrap be used for the guides? Does 5 to 5 1/2' sound about right? I have never built one before but I have a person who wants one. Thanks, Bummy

Bummy,

Until Al returns from the west coast, you might want to take a look at his article entitled "Mojo Tuna Stick". You can find it in the articles section here on SOL.

Thanks Mark for jumping in. Bummy, please post more info on the performance specs for this rod. You have lots of options to consider.

Best,

Al

Al: I wish I knew what he wanted! He just said he wants a stand-up trolling rod. He lives near Virginia Beach and we are talking through a third party. I just wanted to get an idea of what a stand-up rod looked like. I am thinking of using carboloy guides with a roller tip, and using a spiral wrap. This person fishes a lot, but he is kinda clueless! Does 5-5 1/2' sound OK? Bummy

Bummy,

Good Luck. Here is my two cents worth for a clueless customer.

Get a 6 foot stand up blank rated from 30-80 lb test. Lami, Allstar, Seeker have alot to choose from. You need the 6 foot length to clear your line around the outboards.

The handle for trolling consists of a 12 inch Stuart Tuff Butt, Aftco AR3M seat, Aftco gimbal and a 14 inch EVA foregrip.

For guides I would go with Fuji BULG's:

25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 10 and an SIC UST tip.

Al

Bummy,

You have it right. The #25 should be about 4-5 inches from the front of the foregrip.

Remember to spiral the guides around the rod towards the opposite side of the reel handle.

Al