Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Ever take a Mulligan?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

So I'm sitting back, waiting for my "last" rod to finish up on the drying motor. Overall, there are 6 newly finished rods...nothing special, save the fact I did them myself. biggrin.gif Now that I'm looking them over, one stands out as not up-to-snuff with the rest. I'm contemplating doing the guides and butt wrap over, mostly because I'm completely addicted, but also because I don't have the duckets to shell out for more raw materials! redface.gif

I assume this feeling is nothing unique, but how often do you guys go ahead and re-do a rod?

Fish it awhile before you rewrap, best way to tell if it needs tweaking, nothing wrong with rewrap, either for aesthetics or performance...thats what separates custom from stock.

biggrin.gif

My approach is to always do it perfect in the first place. I do often rewrap someting or cut off a cross wrap and redo but I never apply the finish until the rod is just right. Its easy to cut off thread before you apply the finish but once coated , its a big pain!

My approach is to always do it perfect in the first place.

Yup, sound logic, no doubt. The problem arises though as you progress through the learning curve of not only working with thread but also what the threads are going to look like once completely "done". It's all good, though. biggrin.gif