Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raekwon

American Tackle's new Titan titanium guides

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Has anyone checked out AT's Titan guides? I just saw them on the inside cover of the 2005 Mudhole catalog. It says the frame is solid titanium. I'm interested in trying the NIC's on a blackfish rod. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I also saw them on the inside of the catalog. They look like they would be perfect for a fly rod I'm building in the 25, 20 16 & 12.

Anyone get an early sample of these??

Just what the DR. ordered?

I'd like to know if they are solid Titanium like the Fuji Ti's, or Titanium plated like the Fuji IC's.

According to the guy in the thread they're solid titanium "alloy".

The word "alloy" send up a warning flag to me.

5% titanium would be enough to call it Titanium Alloy yet most consumers will think they're purchasing solid titanium.

How much titanium is in these frames? How about the Fuji titanium alloy?

Also, so as to compare apples to apples, what are the differences between the Fuji Gold Cermet ring and the Nanolite ring?

No idea. THere is no such thing as solid Ti frames. My understanding is they would be cost prohibitive due to the cost of replacing the tooling.

Apples to apples - Nanolite to Alconite or SIC. HE admists they are not as hard as SIC, but harder than Alconite. IMO - it doesn't matter, HArdalo's are plenty hard enough.

We should test same rod same guide frames, different ring materials. I bet there is absolutely no difference.

No difference in ring material??

My dear William... I have tested this and there is a big difference.

Take a hardalloy ring and saw some line on it under heavy tension. Be sure to saw a small portion of line over the guide, like 12"-16" and see how long it takes to break it. Now try it with an Sic ring. You will also feel the line "dragging" on the hardalloy ring. Hardalloy might be fine for bottom fishing, but if you fish for stuff that ripps line off the reel and you are using high drag pressures or high in respect to line strength (4lbs on 6lb line) you better use the good stuff. My mono also lasts longer with the better guides on my surf stuff. JMO mind you! smile.gif

OK,

This will take a bit of typing, but direct from the catalog

"Titan Titanium Frame guides with Nanolite rings-Light, strong and corrosion proof are features of American Tackle Company's new Titan guide with Nanolite ceramic rings. The Titan guide series set a new standard to which every manufacturer must now aspire to achieve. The frame is made from the highest quality, proprietary solid titanium alloy, specially manufactured for American Tackle Company to ensure lightness and extreme strength. The titnaium frame is 100% corrosion proof, even in saltwater."

I'm going to order a handful to see if they will work for my application. They are going on a SAGE XI2 14 weight. So if they don't stand up to close scrutiny and my saltwater jug test, I won't put them on. I used a set of AMTAC's on a Sage before and after 2 season's, they are coming off. Look like $#it. Two rings snapped off, frames and all.

I'll report my initial response to them next week. Assuming they are in stock.

chris

John, when was the last time a surf fish ripped line off the reel enough to heat it up? I've got no doubt your test works as you describe, but when was the lat time you had line running through 1 guide back and forth, over and over while fishing? I wouldn't put HArdaloy on a Tuna rod though, for the reason you state.

Let me clarify my testing comment - I meant distance - I was "talking" to Sudsy and didn't clarify this for everyone else, I apologize.

Billy kiss.gif

Last time I caught a surf fish that ripped line from my reel?

12lb bluefish on 4 lb line did rip it off quite nicely. biggrin.gif

Not your typical setup but kinda fun!

Definitely dont use Hardalloy on my tuna stuff and for surf on a budget I think the Alconite stuff is great. Same frame as the Sic and a slightly harder ring (I think) than the Hardalloy. After a month of casting, my line used to get a bit chalky while fishing with Hardalloy guides and this doesn't happen with the Sic. My gripe about the Sic, is they don't like getting smacked on hard surfaces. I haven't broken one, but I have replaced a few for friends. I think the Alconites take a pretty hard hit to break one.

Must of the Titanium structures in aircrafts etc are made from 6-4 alloy. Its like 90 Ti-6% vanadium-4% aluminum. Its much stronger than pure titanium.

Anyway , don't worry about it if its made form an alloy , alloys are usually better. The big thing to watch out fro is when they call it a titanium guide but they mean its made form god knowds what then coated with TiN. You see more and more of this in many areas , not just fishing. TiN is an excellent wear resistant coating but if what its coated on rots away , your out of luck. TiN is a very attractive gold colored coating. I think it would do best used as the coating on the rings , not the frames. for the frames , you would want the solid metal Ti Alloy frames

But what makes the Fuji Gold Cermet $24 vs. the American Tackle Nanolite $8 (both @ 16 ring Titanium alloy frame)?

That's a BIG difference.

But what makes the Fuji Gold Cermet $24 vs. the American Tackle Nanolite $8 (both @ 16 ring Titanium alloy frame)?

That's a BIG difference.

That's easy...

The Fuji is a great guide!! icon14.gif

You guys have bright futures in politics tongue.gif Lots of replys and I still don't have the answer to the question.

I take it no one knows the differences tween the Fujis and AT's ??

In my opinion the Fuji Gold Cermet is the finest guide made today.

I've had a set on the first 9wt I ever built. This is the rod I use when wading and almost everything else. After 6 years, they look as good as the day they went on. No surface corrosion, no pitting, no broken feet. Just perfect.

Now as for the AMTAC's, I was all excited when they came out with the blue and holographic ringed guides. I immediately put each onto a custom rod that a lot of time and effort went into. They stink. ALL are coming off and I have to rewrap entire rods. Did I say they stunk. They sure looked cool going on, but after the first year, I noticed somthing odd about my 25mm stripping guide. Reached up and pushed on it, thought it was crooked or bent. Tink, hits the ground. Great.

That's why Fuji's Cermet's are $24 and AMTAC's are $6.

That said, I hope the new Nanolite Titnaium's are awesome.

cjc