Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny

Tip to nearest guide(repair)?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

If I have to replace my tip and move it down a bit, how close is too close to the next guide? The rod is a factory Loomis SUR1264 (1/2-3oz) surf spinning. The current factory distance from very top of tip to next ring is 5-5.5", approx. My repair needs to come down like 1.25-1.5" from very top of current. Is that too close? Thanks -John

John, If it was me I'd just remove the first guide, then replace the tip. An inch and a half just seems too close. Of course you could always just remove everything, and rewrap the whole rod. That way you can put on some good guides and pick your own color combo....just a thought.

If this has been your favorite rod for feel and flex, losing 4" from the tip will change that.

The rod will seem and be much stiffer. Remove the guide closest to the broken tip, purchase a new tip because old tip will not fit. I don't think you are going to be too happy with the results unless the rod was too flimsey to start with.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'll only need to chop 1.25-1.5" not 4". The tip won't be 1.5" from the next guide, it will move down that much. So it will be 3.5, 3.75" away from the next guide. Will that be too close? Although I am going to build my first rod this year, I 'd hate to do practice surgery on this rod, although,... a stiff 10'er might be good, then I can build a 1083 for lighter plugs,hmmm.... confused.gif . Thanks again -John

Well, w/o looking at the rod, I would move guide #1 to the middle of guide #2 and the new tip. How big of a tip do you need after cutting off that portion? Can u post a pic?

That's a pretty expensive stick, you've got nothing to lose by gluing on a new tip, should be okay...I'd go up one ring size on the tip to more closely match the second guide. wink.gif

Thanks everyone for their replys, I'm still deciding. I don't have a 10+' rod for plugs in the 2,3,maybe 4 zone, and if I put the tip where the first guide is now (about 5 inches down) I'll have a more stiff 10'1. If I just fix it (about 1.5") I'll probably have about the same rod, and build/have made a 1083 for the lighter end plugs. You can tell there's no fishing now, because I'm thinking way too much about this,...thanks again. -John

Johnny, I'd be a little cautious about cutting down the blank. I've cut 6 inches off the tip of a 12'6" blank and got the results I was looking for.....then I cut 6" off a 10'6" blank that I built for my wife, and it ruined the action of the rod. Maybe someone on here has worked with this blank and can provide some more info.

Johnny,

If you were just needing a quick fix then glue on a new tip top. Loosing I.5 inches will have some effect on the action but it may be pretty minimal. You will still have enough gap between tip top and first guide. Ok it would be best to re- fix the first guide further down the blank but it may not be necessary to re- do all the guides. Rod blanks are pretty versatile and whilst there may be the absolute best place to site the guides in practice there is a fair bit of leaway.

I have had to do repairs like this wuite often on holidays. I take loads of spare tip tops to cover for this very same problem, and know something that temporary repair in most cases became permanent as it worked fine. I would suggest you make sure you carefully trim back the tip so you are into sound carbon. A very fine saw and wet and dry paper in 400 grade will do the job.

Cheers

Mike O.